View Poll Results: Open a Topaz Text RPG?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 71.43%
  • No

4 28.57%
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Should we host a Topaz Text RPG?

RPG Administrator

i'd be happy to help in any way i can! i've had a little experience with moderating, and would really like to see this happen! Besides, i didn't really like all the changes that would have to be made to make it work on OI, so i like this idea a lot better!

Also, for the coding the calc, couldn't Badara help in that area, and others?
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

Secret Agent

I belive I would be better equipped to respond to this poll if someone where to briefly explain what, exactly, a tRPG is. I have heard of them but never actually understood the concept.

Still No MIDI Keyboard

A tRPG is a Text-based web role playing game, often set in a specific time-period or location, where users of a website sign up to participate as characters. Either way, my vote is yes.

RPG Administrator

you basically type out what you do. In reference to our TRPG, you create a character, and go thru C/K like you would in the game, only thing are not near as constrained, like you can elaborate your posts, you aren't limited to 4 moves, but the calculations, and encounter rates, and catch, and such are the same as in the game. It's basically like playing thru the game like they do in the animated series

aut vincere aut mori

I think NyteFyre summed it up pretty well there. You can really get into your character and devlop them as much or as little as you want, and you can huild stronger relationships with your pokemon team than just having them fight. It moves a lot more slowly than an actual electronic game, but in my mind that makes it more satisfying when you work hard to get a strong team.

Thats what she said

I have never actually played one before, so I dont know...
    DO U LIKE WATER????? then u like 75% of me.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

uh-ohs

Contributors know my reasons but ill say em again. We can get more people to come here. We can make it thway we want to if we do it here.

RPG Administrator

I looked back over the earlier posts that i missed while reading what's been said so far, and noticed something about teams. I like the idea, but maybe it should be a consensual thing, like you can form a team if you like, with someone(s) at say the first town, and have separate threads for each member per route/town, maybe have like a team name, and use that in the thread title so you know who's on who's team, but make all important things, like side missions, events, etc in one person's thread. like if you all have a battle in say route 25, just an example, not referring to the real route 25, and after each person is done with their battle, they can all decide to do the side mission for a reward together in one person's thread, or even make a separate thread for the mini event...idk if that could work, just throwing out an idea...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by NyteFyre View Post
    have separate threads for each member per route/town, maybe have like a team name, and use that in the thread title so you know who's on who's team
    I can add prefixes for threads to signify which team the player is in, it will show up in front of the thread title as text wrapped in [], so like [Team Rocket]. I can also add profile fields to show RPG information in forum profiles and maybe a small part in their post info, under Location or something.

Cyndadile, do you understand it now? Just checked the results and it's closer than I thought. I expected a landslide one way or the other and was giving it 50-50 to go either way.

Hopefully we can get more votes in.

RPG Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroality
    Just checked the results and it's closer than I thought. I expected a landslide one way or the other and was giving it 50-50 to go either way.
    what are you talking about, Zero? it's 7-3 right now...

Administrator

That's hardly a landslide but it still could be.

Just to clarify something that's been brought up here (IB already posted my opinion, I think), the Topaz Text RPG was barely alive when PokeRealm went down. For two months or so before it went down, Wanderer Shawn and I were almost the only ones updating, with other mods chipping in now and again. I think that there may have been moderator applications before the forum went down, but the mods from the new batch weren't really providing much of a boost.

But yeah, IB basically summed up my thoughts. Personally, I feel that a Text RPG would very much distract from the main focus of this board – to make the Topaz game. If you recall, before PokeRealm went down, Topaz was one of the most inactive forums on the board. Additionally, as an RPG moderator, I always felt as though the TRPG was sort of a separate community. The members of the TRPG, for the large part, didn't have much interaction with the regular members, and the RPG always seemed to get the shaft when it came to adding new features and whatnot.

And finally, one of our big things with OI is 'you're playing this thing here, and there's nowhere else that anybody can play the same thing'. Including Caldera/Kirant when there's already a Topaz RPG is sort of like us including some of those Fakemon that every single TRPG on the web uses. I don't mean it as an insult to you guys or anything; if you want to put your RPG on OI, we'll be glad to have you. But if you want it here, then it'll have to be only here.

I don't really come here all that often, so perhaps my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. But yeah. That's my two cents. Make of it what you will.

Administrator

Late PokeRealm, which is where I believe you moderated at, was definitely not the place to run a TRPG. Most of the trolls ran off the decent users. It was so widespread that I couldn't really do anything about it other than banning half the active memberbase. The first time was really successful though and didn't start to decline until it was moved to its own board.

Secret Agent

This sounds like something interesting... I'd like to give it a try, especially if it will increase activity.

Administrator

So, in sum, I gather:

PROS:
    - we don't need to compromise to host it
    - hopefully it provides us with new members
    - it keeps people coming back to the site
    - we stay a bit more independent
    - we somewhat "test" how things can be in the game on the TRPG
    - the "product" is closer to "home", meaning that there's more motivation for it to finish, less tape to go through when changing stuff etc.

CONS:
    - it's a distraction for several active members from the actual game
    - new members for the TRPG may not translate into people who help work on the game, resulting in a shift of focus
    - it may end up a large waste of time, which is somewhat important considering that we want Topaz out as soon as possible
    - keeping it active could drain a lot of energy and morale if it has trouble taking off
    - we lose possible members that would have been advertised from OI
    - possible enmity from OI

Administrator

I think I already covered a couple of those but let's go...

CONS:
    - I concede on this but I'm hoping the impact will be minimal. If rp is needed later for heavy writing tasks then MI can take over for him. How's that?
    - True, they 'may not' but I don't think the chances are as dismal as you think.
    - If that happens then you can say I told you so.
    - I'd like to address this here, once and for all. A TRPG is only as successful as what you put into it. If you are putting minimal effort then the chances of it taking off are slim. But if everybody is working hard in keeping it going then takes a little time to go around and advertise a bit (sigs in other forums, posting in relevant threads, etc) then the chances of being successful are better.
    - See below.
    - I hope that won't happen but if it does, it won't be our fault.

Administrator

I guess that's all the votes this is going to get. I spoke to Quinn and he voted no because he didn't understand what it was. After I talked to him on PM and explained what it was, he changed his mind and said he would probably play. So that leaves this at a convincing 11-3, which is enough for me.

We will start on this ASAP and will announce when it's ready to open. Thanks for the input and votes.

Administrator

Yes, the decision is clear.

Closed Thread