+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pokemon Discussion Thread

Secret Agent

Default Pokemon Discussion Thread

Well, this is essentially a place to discuss Pokemon. Not the game or TV show or manga, but the actual little (or not so little) creatures that are at the center of the series. Kind of like the No-Topic thread, but instead of being "anything about anything," it's more of "anything about Pokemon".

I think Pikachu's pretty awesome. I mean, he's been forced into a mascot position for the series, and he's kind of pulling it off. Magikarp or Muk couldn't have filled the post.

I've met people who only know Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charmander, and Pikachu. That's really annoying for me. I suppose those are a good four to know, but it really irks me when people force their way into conversations about pokemon without knowing anything about the series.

Brazilian Member

I don't think Pikachu is that awesome, in fact, i think everything based on the TV show a little lame, the director of the series doesn't even like videogames...
    A Classic is something that acquires the eternal aclamation: yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Pichu is a bad ass with that ukulele
    TRPG profile

3DS Friend code: 3711-7748-4916
    I has X, Looking for Y stones, will trade for good stuff.

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post
    I don't think Pikachu is that awesome, in fact, i think everything based on the TV show a little lame, the director of the series doesn't even like videogames...
    We're talking about Pikachu as a pokemon, not Pikachu as a character. I likes the TV show up through Johto, and Hoenn was ok, but after that I lost interest.

Ukelele Pichu is pretty awesome.

Secret Agent

Double post because Jirachi is losing:
    http://www.pokemon.com/powerbracket/us/
    Help Jirachi!

my favourite pokemon is mew, but you can only get it in the original games, which sucks, gotta catch em all? rip off -_- they practically beg u 2 buy cheats or past versions to complete the game..... which sadly I did. Im an addict and don't know why! I love pokémon! hey..... no one has said about starters apart from the 1st gens. Whats everyones favourite starters?

Administrator

I'm very partial to the RBY starters, since I feel they look a lot better than all the others. I like all of them and their evolutions. Funnily enough, for the rest, I only like specific evolutions:
    I like Cyndaquil and Chikorita, Grovyle (specifically, Treeko and Sceptile are kind of eh), Mudkip, Piplup, Tepig and Pignite (Don't get me started about Emboar >_>) and Pikachu and Eevee are pretty cool too if they count.

Mew I believe you could get from a decent number of events, most of which involved going to New York. Not that I ever went to any.

Secret Agent

I like/love all the starters from gens 1 and 2. Cyndaquil and Chikorita are my favorites of all.
    These are all listed more or less in order (As in, Cyndaquil > Chikorita > Mukip), but some are close:
    Ones I love: Cyndaquil, Chikorita, Mudkip,
    Ones I like: Charmander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Totodile
    Ok: Treeko, Oshawott, Turtwig
    Fine: Piplup, Chimchar, Torchic,
    Not a huge fan: Emboar, Snivy.

Pikachu and Eevee would both be somewhere in "ones I like".

Kind of odd that my username/avatar here are a merge of Cyndaquil and Totodile, since Totodile is actually my least favorite 2nd gen starter. But they're all quite close.

And how about that EMBOAR! I think he's just SWELL! I can't imagine someone not liking another fire/fighting starter!

Administrator

ARGH... Blinded.... by.... terrible.... unnecessary.... bright... yellow... markings...

my favourite starter was my diamond starter my chimchar/ inferneape. 1st and best pokemon I ever owned.... shame he was deleted when the game crashed, then I dropped it in a puddle, found it hours later after a storm and took ages retracing my steps, had real bad luck that day. the game was never usable again... so I bought a new one and specifially had an infernape with the same moveset, stats, level (99) put onto the game... as a tribute, but it could never replace Ferny. No starter can =_= he was amazing <3

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by ImmunityBow View Post
    ARGH... Blinded.... by.... terrible.... unnecessary.... bright... yellow... markings...
    Really? Of all the clashing designs and frilly outfits in Pokemon games, Emboar is where you draw the line?

I'm sorry about Ferny. I'm sure you think of him every time you visit Pokemon Tower in Lavender.
    It reminds me of when I lost my Leafgreen Version. It had my Venosaur and my Swampert and Kyogre (from Sapphire). I WILL FIND YOU, BULBA, MUDDY, AND KITO! I WILL FIND YOU AND BRING YOU HOME!
    I lost the cartrige years ago. But I know it's somewhere.

Semi-related note: I have awesome nicknames, don't I? Actually, I didn't choose "Kito", but I'm rather fond of it.

Administrator

Emboar isn't the only one, but rather an archetypal example of why I'm not a big fan of the art direction Pokemon has taken since 4th (and arguably part of 3rd) gen. The sprites are great (though animation-style shading kind of sucks) but they look like they hired Aviculor (a very talented spriter, but with a weirder, less cool/cute style) to do the sprites and concepts. The original 150 and most of the 250 are closer to Novoni's style, which I'm personally more a fan of.

In any case, I really dislike unnecessary markings. Especially when so clashing and crammed in.

Secret Agent

I don't really notice things like that, although I did always prefer the first 251.

I think butterfree could look a bit more badass,
    After all, my butterfree decimated most of firered
    And haxorus could be a little (okay, A LOT) less overpowered
    2 Dragon Dances + Outrage + Rivalry + Scope Lens = OVERKILL
    TRPG profile

3DS Friend code: 3711-7748-4916
    I has X, Looking for Y stones, will trade for good stuff.

+ Reply to Thread