+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Returning Pokemon: Sprites

Administrator

Default Returning Pokemon: Sprites

So, let's discuss how we're going to handle the returning Pokemon.

As we know, we need 80x80 sprites. The problem is that some of the sprites are more popular in HGSS, some in D/P, some in Platinum. So how will we do this? There are a few options:

1. Only use Platinum sprites
    2. Only use HGSS sprites
    3. Make our own
    4. Mix and match

It boils down to how professional we want to be, I guess: Making our own is definitely the most professional, followed by using HGSS sprites. Mixing and matching is highly unprofessional, but has the added advantage of using the sprites that the fans want, and that's what Topaz is: a fan game made by the fans for the fans. So we shouldn't be forced to use a sprite that everyone hates if there's a perfectly suitable same-sized sprite from another game.

Opinions?

Better Than That Guy

3 and 4 why not.

Thats what she said

I'm for 3 and 4. Though this isn't my personal project I was talking about, I can get them 80 by 80, learn how to center, and make more polls. (Though it might be better if it was a subfolder in the graphics for this)
    DO U LIKE WATER????? then u like 75% of me.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

Better Than That Guy

I can just picture the splices submitted, just taking the good parts (and in some novice cases managing to make it look bad). But then, that's not neccessarily bad.

Thats what she said

I'm not so sure with splices. If it was original mostly with a couple parts, thats something else.
    This all being said, I'm still for the "not professional" mix.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

aut vincere aut mori

I'd rather just have HG/SS ones. It's professional enough and won't take forever. Taking the time to create both front and backsprites will take a long time, and Badara has promised 6 weeks of full time coding, which we don't want to waste. It could be the difference between getting the demo out this summer and having it take longer.

Thats what she said

I'm for just having the HGSS, Platinum, and Diamond/Pearl going on. I could start getting them ready tonight, and go wild tommorow with polls.

Better Than That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    I'm for just having the HGSS, Platinum, and Diamond/Pearl going on. I could start getting them ready tonight, and go wild tommorow with polls.
    If that's going to be the case I still say the ones appearing in Topaz should have new images (it's a new game). Of course, they don't need it for the demo but...

Thats what she said

If people are for it, and if you have time, you wanna help? There are the sprite sheets all over the web, I'm tryin to find em, when I do, I'm gonna start that. If you wanna get DP's, I can get platinums and HG SS.
    Edit Got HG SS, now getting platinum
    Last edited by Quinn; 06-04-10 at 11:07 PM.

aut vincere aut mori

I still say that it should just be all HG/SS, since even doing this will take time. However, if we decide to go the unprofessional route and mix, here's a better way to do it:

We aren't going to make everyone happy no matter we do, so I don't see the point of mixing and matching. I merely posted this so there aren't a bunch of polls.

Secret Agent

I don't think we will get 382 front and back sprties in the next year even. I think we should mix and match. Then we could see what we liked best.

Thats what she said

I just finished the platinums as well. I like your idea RP, but the only thing that gets me is all the counting. If there is a subcategory with the sprites in 800000 different polls, then they will have the chance for each. Some might not get viewed, so they are bumped. All together, it would take around 5 days, and the news could possibly be put on the site to get better viewing chances.
    By the way, backsprites are all the same from DP, to HG SS. (Might be some I might have missed that have a diff, but still, they are the same. See for yourself
    http://sfc.pokefans.net/platinum.php?id=11
    Should I even do DP from platinum sincee MOSTLY just 4th gen changed.
    Last edited by Quinn; 06-04-10 at 11:47 PM.

aut vincere aut mori

What counting? This is why we should pick one and stick to it...

Thats what she said

(I dont wanna sound arguing)
    What I mean is if we pick one, and we get, say 20 people who do that, we open each one up, and have to tally, "Okay, he wants HG SS, he wants Platinum and at the end figure it out, rather if we had the many polls, when the polls are done in say, a week, the counting is already done.

aut vincere aut mori

It isn't like that at all if you set HG/SS as default. People will most likely only have problems with a few HG/SS sprites, so counting really is a non-issue.

Thats what she said

I'm not gonna lie, I think some of HG SS's suck. There are some awesome ones, but some of them blow. If I could just get a subfolder, I could have these all up tommorow. Since I use library Wi-Fi I would have to wait till I could go down, (anywhere from 10 am-1pm WST)
    I've got them all saved now, so all I would have to do is crop em apart, resize em, and get ready.

EDIT: I just remembered, I think I am wrong about backsprites. Didn't the become more "lively" from platinum up? I'll make sure, and if there is difference, they will also be up.
    Another thing I remembered is dex entries. There ARE alot of entries, one for each "returning". It might make life tougher on me to make the polls, but more easier for everyone else.
    Last edited by Quinn; 06-05-10 at 01:11 AM.

aut vincere aut mori

Quote Originally Posted by ragingprimeape View Post
    People will most likely only have problems with a few HG/SS sprites, so counting really is a non-issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    I'm not gonna lie, I think some of HG SS's suck. There are some awesome ones, but some of them blow.
    That's the point. You can say which ones you want to be different in the thread.

Thats what she said

Read my edit. It kinda talks about that.
    Since I cant work on these while I'm online, I'm gonna log off Soon
    Last edited by Quinn; 06-05-10 at 01:33 AM.

aut vincere aut mori

We aren't going to poll dex entries. The current format is fine as is.

Thats what she said

I wasn't talkin bout dex entries too much. I was just giving an example. That being said, your idea has been chosen (of course )but with a little edit. I'm making 4 sheets tonight. 2 for platinuum and 2 for HG SS (cause the frames) from that, people will fill out that spoiler thingy you used. (Either you or IB, PM me how to do that) There wont be a "default" but instead it just have blank spaces. They will fill it out and post it. Though it will be hell to count, since your idea has been chosen, I have nothing against it. Get ready for some fun tommorow.

aut vincere aut mori

PM me the sheets when you get them and I'll post it, or I'll just edit yours with the rules if a prior engagement does not prevent me from doing so. I'll take care of the counting.

Thats what she said

awesome. We can tag team this. (work with the person that got me started here )

Administrator

Yeah, I don't want polls on this unless it's to poll between HG/SS or Platinum sprites.

I'd rather not mix and match because that means we'd have to find a way to make the decision on which sprite to use for which Pokemon, and that probably means more polls.

After seeing how long the shiny Pokemon are going to take via polls, I am definitely against another large-scale polling project. It's not going to happen.

I'm also against making the sprites. Progress needs to speed up, not slow down.

aut vincere aut mori

...which is why I'd like to stick with all HG/SS sprites. Let's not prolong everything because some people don't like a couple of sprites. We'll never make everyone happy, so we may as well be practical about this.

If Pinsir was in this game I might say something different. It's so damn ugly.
    Last edited by zeroality; 06-05-10 at 05:26 AM. Reason: sean connery would slap you for blasphemy

Administrator

HG/SS sprites sound good to me.
    Last edited by SilentSentinel; 06-05-10 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Sean Connery is the best James Bond imo

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Screw all of this mix and matching business and just pick one set of sprites. We have a lot to do without complicating all of the simple things.

Thats what she said

I'm finally here. I got them all done. I'm a bit late (about 40 over here), but I got them all done.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    I'm finally here. I got them all done. I'm a bit late (about 40 over here), but I got them all done.
    Got what done?

Administrator

A sheet of the sprites side by side for comparison. I've already spoken to him at length about this.

Overworlder (I think)

Mix and match is good.
    http://www.pokemontopaz.net/ TOPAZ, AND PROUD OF IT!

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/forums/s...-Guy-s-Profile - My TRPG profile

Thats what she said

I'm alot more calm now (I was alot more steaming last time, when I uploaded them), so as much as I would love to have the mix and match ballad thingy. The one thing that is kinda messed with choosing one sprite thing like HG SS, is there is now 2 frames (as seen in the sheets). For the most part (especially with tauros), the second is actually alot better than the 1st.
    Yet again, I'm for mix and match, but thats just me.

RPG Administrator

Man, a lot can happen when you go out for a few hours.

I have an idea...How about we use all HG/SS Sprites, just first frame, and the ones that don't look all that great, a.k.a. Jolteon, we can use the Platinum sprites of. That sound ok?
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

I think we/you guys should do #3 and do reposes.

Administrator

I would rather not mix and match because that leaves it wide open to subjective opinions.

Rather than debate the decision, I'm going to make one right now. We are going to use the HG/SS sprites, 2nd frame. No exceptions. If you could get that ready and posted, that'd be great. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenalilim View Post
    I think we/you guys should do #3 and do reposes.
    As much as I would love to do this (make our own), it just isn't realistic. Our programmer gets his summer break on June 16th and only has 6 weeks to dedicate towards coding the demo. We simply cannot get it done by then. It took years to get the custom sprites for Topaz finalized.

We are going with HG/SS sprites, 2nd frame. No exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroality View Post
    I would rather not mix and match because that leaves it wide open to subjective opinions.

Rather than debate the decision, I'm going to make one right now. We are going to use the HG/SS sprites, 2nd frame. No exceptions. If you could get that ready and posted, that'd be great. Thanks.

As much as I would love to do this (make our own), it just isn't realistic. Our programmer gets his summer break on June 16th and only has 6 weeks to dedicate towards coding the demo. We simply cannot get it done by then. It took years to get the custom sprites for Topaz finalized.

We are going with HG/SS sprites, 2nd frame. No exceptions.
    Kay, sorreh D:

RPG Administrator

All right, though i still don't like the HG/SS Jolteon sprite, first and second frame.
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

Thats what she said

alright, though some of the shading is off and kinda messed up, like Rhyhorn and Rhydon. If your doing that though, go with mostly 2nd frame with backs too. If you dont, make the exception to Tauros!
    If you leave it to me though instead, I would have it up tommorow. I already had the design all ready for the ballad. Saved on my computer. Had the sprite sheets made and everything. It would be no hassle on you, and when the winners were decided (in about 5 days), I could find the shinies to go with them as well and have them 2 you the next day, no doubt. But if your so "dead" set on 2nd frame, then I guess I can have no influence.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zeroality View Post
    We are going with HG/SS sprites, 2nd frame.
    If the administration feels it is necessary to replace a sprite then we will make that determination - not a singular user, and we don't have the time for community polls on the matter. So if you are going to do it, then please give us the HG/SS sprites, 2nd frame. Thanks.

Thats what she said

but it isn't only me. There are a decent amount of people who are/were for it. Some of HGSS, like I said, are horribly shaded.

aut vincere aut mori

Some of us are also for professionalism.

+ Reply to Thread