+ Reply to Thread

Thread: the spambot issue, users pruned

Administrator

Default the spambot issue, users pruned

As you know, we've been getting hit pretty hard by spambots lately. I just set up a system that should prevent them from registering - reCaptcha won't work anymore because it's been cracked.

However, this system wouldn't prevent spambots that are already registered from posting so it was necessary to prune users. Which is why we are missing over 2,000 members now - I deleted everybody with 0 posts except banned users. I did send out an e-mail to all of the users in these groups to explain to legitimate users what was going on, and to encourage them to re-register.

If the problem seems to be solved then I will turn off post moderation after the weekend. It is currently enabled for New Members and requires their posts to be approved before they are submitted, but this new system should negate that necessity.

RPG Administrator

Finally, thank you Zero. First day back, and already you've cleared a major thorn in our sides!
    -hugs Zero-
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

Administrator

Apparently someone was able to post as a guest but I'm not sure why yet. I'll check into it after I fix the site.

Our webhost had a problem with a corrupted hard drive and it appears that some of our data may have been lost. At least I hope that's what it is, and not a security issue.

finally!
    no more spambots
    hoorah!!!
    TRPG profile

3DS Friend code: 3711-7748-4916
    I has X, Looking for Y stones, will trade for good stuff.

+ Reply to Thread