PDA

View Full Version : new site design

zeroality
01-31-11, 08:22 AM
I had hoped to get more done than this but I kept getting distracted. Having some family issues right now and had to deal with it more today than I thought I would. I've also had a horrible freaking headache all day long.

I did get the code for the layout structure done though so I'll go ahead and let you guys take a look. I need opinions on the color scheme. I tried making the header/sidebar the same dark blue as we have on top of the forums but didn't think it looked good at all but I'll let you guys decide.

I also tried making the main background blue instead of grey but that was just way too much blue on the page. If anybody has any color suggestions for any part of the layout, I'm open to them.

http://pokemontopaz.net/site/index-dark.html
http://pokemontopaz.net/site/index.html

Links will NOT work on any version of IE (except maybe IE9 beta) because this is HTML5. I will add in IE support later; it'll work on IE7 and 8 when I am done.

NyteFyre
01-31-11, 07:25 PM
Hmm...They both look great to me. I prefer the Dark Index over the second one, personally.

Blade Flight
01-31-11, 07:34 PM
The links work for me...and I'm using IE...

Cyndadile
01-31-11, 07:56 PM

Doesn't work in IE for me... so I have to use Safari.

I like the second one. The light grey-ish background doesn't seem to fit so well with the dark blue.

PokePoindexter
01-31-11, 10:25 PM
I think the dark one should be darker, and the text should probably be white so it pops out more easily. Otherwise I like them.

ImmunityBow
02-01-11, 02:30 AM
Both seem fine, though the first seems a little more professional.

zeroality
02-02-11, 10:30 AM
Really, dark is fine? Hmm. It does look better to me now than it did the other day. Alright, I'll go with that then. I'm sure it will look tons better with the Pokemon graphics on it.

Links will work obviously but I meant the page won't load properly - except maybe in IE9 beta.

The light grey-ish background doesn't seem to fit so well with the dark blue.
I agree. Now that I'm apparently going to use the dark blue, I can change the grey to something else.

I think the dark one should be darker, and the text should probably be white so it pops out more easily. Otherwise I like them.

Yeah the text won't be black, I didn't do any formatting yet. I don't know about making it even darker though. It's the same shade of dark blue as the top of the forums. If I made it darker, I'd want the forums to match.

Do you guys think I should try that? Make both a deeper and darker shade of blue?

NyteFyre
02-02-11, 11:42 AM
I' fine with what you have, but i wouldn't mind a darker shade for those who like it better. Maybe make two skins?

zeroality
02-06-11, 12:30 PM
Not going to make separate skins for the site, no - sorry.

Too much of an hassle if I want to update or add something later.

I've been sick, ack, but gonna get to work on it right now. :D

I'll be a bit slow though, still getting used to GIMP. I've decided to go legitimate and not pirate stuff anymore, so I can't get Photoshop - which costs more than twice as much as my computer by the way. >_>

Edit: Going to bed now but image/navigation preview tomorrow, I promise.

Alright, I'm sorry guys but I just can't work with GIMP. As you can partially see from my posts on the GIMP help forums here (http://gimpforums.com/thread-how-do-i-select-multiple-layers) and here (http://gimpforums.com/thread-can-i-pin-the-toolbox-and-layers-to-the-gimp-window), there's just too much GIMP can't do or doesn't do properly. (ps: the minimizing thing was a fluke, the toolbox does not minimize at all which is extremely irritating)

Spent 5 hours waiting on a reply so got nothing done - except for the fact that I decided to keep the same shade of blue. Darker just didn't look right.

Luckily I have my copy of Photoshop backed up on a CD so I'll install that after I get up later today. Didn't really want to but can't see any alternatives here. Sorry, I expected GIMP to actually be good. My mistake. After I get PS back, there shouldn't be any more delays. :\

zeroality
02-07-11, 08:43 PM
Merged my last two posts so this isn't a triple post but here's a new preview:

http://pokemontopaz.net/site/

So far just the sidebar and logo have been done. There's some alignment/size issues I need to resolve with the logo but wanted to know what you guys thought so far. I tried changing the grey background to something else but nothing really worked. If you have any suggestions (as in specific colors to use) I'm open to them.

I didn't realize the sidebar background was 121kb, I'll try and lower that later.

NyteFyre
02-07-11, 09:38 PM
looks fine to me, so far!

I don't work with what you are doing, so i don't really see the problem. and i don't know colors that well, but i do like this grey, #999999. I use it frequently.

SilentSentinel
02-07-11, 10:19 PM
Ooh, you picked my favorite piece of Topaz art (Ferrian)!

Cyndadile
02-08-11, 12:31 AM
Ooh, you picked my favorite piece of Topaz art (Ferrian)!

Same.

The grey looks fine now, with the art.

Merlin
02-08-11, 01:00 AM
idea here: why not make the grey a blue-grey instead? you'll be able to adjust the shading of both to whatever feels good and it should work...

um.... i clicked the link at the top of the topic for the dark version and it came up with a 404 error... btw i'm using Firefox 4.0 Beta for future reference...

ImmunityBow
02-08-11, 01:24 AM
Fahramane looks flat when put next to the other two, and thus looks a little out of place. Definitely looking good though.

Tyrannigon64
02-08-11, 01:55 AM
Fahramane looks flat when put next to the other two, and thus looks a little out of place.

Isn't that Celsinge? Either way, he's right, but other than that, I like it.

zeroality
02-08-11, 01:55 AM
idea here: why not make the grey a blue-grey instead? you'll be able to adjust the shading of both to whatever feels good and it should work...

um.... i clicked the link at the top of the topic for the dark version and it came up with a 404 error... btw i'm using Firefox 4.0 Beta for future reference...

I'll try blue-grey and see. And yeah, the dark version was removed. I deleted everything that was in the /site folder previously when I uploaded the new version.

Fahramane looks flat when put next to the other two, and thus looks a little out of place. Definitely looking good though.
Yes, working with radically contrasting styles of art is problematic but a certain someone complained that I was showing favoritism for oykawoo's work so I'm trying to be less biased and use art from multiple artists.

So this is going to be a problem unless I only use art from one artist. Any good suggestions on how I can work around it? :\

Reliability
02-08-11, 02:49 AM
I think it's fine, but it may be worth experimenting with other art in place of Celsinge/Fahramane for one more similar to the other two.

But I'm fine with it either way.

ImmunityBow
02-08-11, 03:21 AM
Why not try staying consistent with artists for certain sections?

So, you could have an X-Antibody sidebar, an Oykawoo button array, etc. so that there's a clear pattern to the art but there's good representation too.

zeroality
02-08-11, 04:18 AM

So, you could have an X-Antibody sidebar, an Oykawoo button array, etc. so that there's a clear pattern to the art but there's good representation too.
And that, my good sir, is why you are the Topaz Project Leader!

Alright, let me work on this some more. I'm up for a while so I should get another preview up in a few hours.

Merlin
02-08-11, 05:04 AM

Yeah i have to agree with IB here sorting the art by sections would allow for the artwork to be shown by multiple artists yet still be grouped together so they dont look out of place...

zeroality
02-08-11, 08:34 AM
Haven't tried changing the background but I think I finally got the sidebar right. I kept adding, deleting, and resizing the images.

I should finish the navigation later today, then have the site back up by Thursday or Friday hopefully.

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/site/

I was going to fill up the banner area with X-Antibody's art but that ended up just looking terrible and cluttered so it's just Ferrian by himself. I tried putting his Venap, Celsinge, and Ingero by the professor but none of them worked. Spidream was pretty much the only art that fit.

Edit: If you see the same stuff you saw last time, then Shift+Refresh.

Tyrannigon64
02-08-11, 01:21 PM
That looks pretty cool! It's better than the last one, for sure.

Reliability
02-08-11, 06:56 PM
I really like it. Awesome job so far!

[generic comments ftw]

Merlin
02-08-11, 07:57 PM
looks great. Well i had an idea but as i was trying to type it up it occurred to me that it wont work since you're only working on one page rather than all of them....
Anyway it looks great so far, so i say keep up the good work.

Cyndadile
02-08-11, 08:13 PM
I really like it. Awesome job so far!

[generic comments ftw]

ImmunityBow
02-09-11, 01:57 AM
Actually, zero is working on all of them. He's making a template that will span across the entire site.

Merlin
02-09-11, 05:21 AM
Does it just go across the first page or the forums as well?

Reliability
02-09-11, 01:51 PM
It will be the template for all of the site pages, but the forums will remain the same.

zeroality
02-09-11, 05:38 PM
http://pokemontopaz.net/site/ - Shift+Refresh if nothing seems new.

I got frustrated and just the Pokemon on there, slapping the text on. For 6 hours I tried different combinations of buttons, shapes, backgrounds, gradients, and colors but nothing seemed to work.

As for Ohmure, I had Kraklaw there originally but Pikang pointed out that it didn't match up well with the others. He suggested Ohmure, but here is all of the art (http://pokemontopaz.net/repository/uploads/art.html) we have if you have better ideas. I actually considered e-mailing oykawoo for a new piece of artwork to put there since it's been 6-7 months since I bugged him for art...

By the way, here is a screencap (http://pokemontopaz.net/site/sitepreview.png) of the page I took for Pikang since he is on IE which still had the Kraklaw if you want to see it.

Anyway, on to the navigation scheme - here's what I had in mind:

- Each button will take the user to some sort of portal for whatever it is. Like Sprites will go to a portal for front sprites, back sprites, trainer sprites, item sprites and so forth.

- GFX will lead them to maps, battle backgrounds, concept art, and the such.

- Sounds (didn't want to use SFX next to GFX and Soundtrack was too long to fit) will be for music, cries, and whatever else there is.

- Data (need help with this label so bad! 7 characters is pretty much the limit :\) will lead them to stuff like pokedex entries, egg groups, encounter rates, tms, abilities, you know the drill.

- Forums yeah, self-explanatory there. Then of course we'll have the usual Quick Links thingie on the sidebar with relevant links to the most visited pages so nobody has to double click through portals if they don't want to.

- Credits will be a button somewhere, possibly in the footer. It will be prominently visible don't worry.

- I'm thinking of making the Topaz Logo (or the Ferrian) clickable to go back to index.

Index page itself will have news as usual on the right side and a box for the latest SoT on the left because ImmunityBow insists on pasting it onto the front page even though it shows up as a news article! :p

OK so, suggestions away! Navigation label changes, suggestions for Pokemon, backgrounds, whatever. Don't be scared to reveal your opinions.

Tyrannigon64
02-09-11, 06:53 PM
I think DracoNyon's Pyroon could work instead of Ohmure. Maybe. Anyways, instead of Data, it could say Pokedex. And Lupine seems a bit goofy, I don't really like it. Everything else is very awesome.

NyteFyre
02-09-11, 07:28 PM
I like it, but maybe it would look better to have some of the button arts flipped around, instead of having them all face the same direction. but that's just my opinion.

Merlin
02-09-11, 10:34 PM
So far so good!!!
I like the Kraklaw pic for forums. I also agree with Ty64 about renaming Data to Pokedex since all the information being given there tends to be found in the Pokedex anyway...
Also making the logo the link to the index page is also good as it'll help people find it faster rather than trying to type it back in...
That and should something happen they can use it as a sort of refresh button if necessary.

Irot_Rebod
02-09-11, 11:15 PM
Lookin' pretty good, zero. ;)
I would prefer the Kraklaw icon, but the white edges bother me... if that could be fixed, my vote would go there.
Renaming Data to Pokedex would seem to make sense, but it could confuse users into thinking that's where our sprites are.
Logo for the link would make more sense than Ferrian, but he could lead to something else... Contributors or something, maybe?
Lovin' what you are doing so far, though. :D

ImmunityBow
02-10-11, 02:50 AM
Pyroon does seem like a good choice over Ohmure. Thick, smooth black lines and cell shading is the style to aim for there. I like the design quite a bit, and agree that having portal pages works best now that we've got so much more information than we did when the site was originally designed.

zeroality
02-11-11, 05:02 AM
Finally some good comments/suggestions/criticisms!

Anyways, instead of Data, it could say Pokedex.
Good idea.

Renaming Data to Pokedex would seem to make sense, but it could confuse users into thinking that's where our sprites are.
I'll keep that in mind when I design the portal.

maybe it would look better to have some of the button arts flipped around, instead of having them all face the same direction
I'll see if I can make that work.

Logo for the link would make more sense than Ferrian, but he could lead to something else... Contributors or something, maybe?
Great idea! Yeah, I'll make Ferrian link to the credits page and label it somehow.

I would prefer the Kraklaw icon, but the white edges bother me... if that could be fixed, my vote would go there.

I like the Kraklaw pic for forums.
Removing the white edges shouldn't be a problem. I suppose I need to make a poll? Speaking of which, I put Pyroon on so you guys could see that too. I think it seems out of place just like Kraklaw did but I'll let you all decide on that.

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/site/whole-navbar.png

I didn't make it small enough but you guys can get a rough idea of what it'd look like in the layout.

One more thing, I had decided to increase the minimum resolution of the design from 1024x768 to 1152x864 but I'm looking at Piwik and it seems like 25% of visitors are using 1024x768 so I obviously need to lower it back down.

So that means I have to make it narrower. :( Working on that now.

Please post your opinions about Kraklaw/Pyroon/Ohmure so I can make a decision on what to use.

Irot_Rebod
02-11-11, 08:32 AM
Pyroon looks pretty darn good. I'd say it's better than Ohmure, at least. A poll for Kraklaw (pending the removal of the white) vs. Pyroon should be made though once it's ready. Great work! :D

zeroality
02-11-11, 08:52 AM
Alright, I fixed Pyroon and shrunk the page to fit 1024x768 resolutions.

http://pokemontopaz.net/site/ (shift+refresh if same)

I'd like to add in where it stretches out for bigger resolutions but that's not a priority right now as we need to get the site back up. I'll go ahead and start working on the CMS, making the layouts and such.

Let me know about Kraklaw vs Pyroon guys. If it seems close, I'll put up an actual poll.

Edit: Oh yeah btw, I switched Firrel/Cirroft since Cirroft+Pyroon seemed strange next to each other since they are smaller than the rest.

I put Pokedex next to Sprites to try and avoid the confusion Irot mentioned.

Also, I tried flipping Misticade and Firrel around to make them face the opposite direction and it made them look really really really really really really weird.

Besides I think it works, them all looking towards the professor. And Lupine is staying. Sorry.

Irot_Rebod
02-11-11, 09:21 AM
As of right now, I probably would pick Pyroon over Kraklaw.

The switcheroo with Firrel/Cirroft worked well. The flow of the graphics is definitely easier on the eyes.

Pokedex next to Sprites should definitely remedy any confusion (pending any not-so-very observant users >_>).

I figured flipping the graphics around would make things look strange. The shading suggests that they all face the same way.

One thing I will say, I know we're trying to avoid GFX and SFX next to each other, but "Sounds" looks a tad less professional than SFX would, in my opinion.

I'm lovin' the quick progress you are making... maybe I should take a hint and compose some more... hmm... >_>

Tyrannigon64
02-11-11, 08:11 PM
There seems to be too much empty space between Pyroon and Firrel. Would it be possible to make GFX's icon be Pyroon and the Forums icon be Firrel? Or at least enlarge Pyroon's image? Sorry for the nitpicks, but it does kind of bother me. Other than that, it's better than the last one, which I said was very awesome.

Cyndadile
02-11-11, 08:17 PM
Quick and to the point:

Looks great.

I like Pyroon.

Lupine might look better (if possible) in the bottom right. Then it kind of follows the border of the page, if that makes any sense. (It's reverse L-shaped, as is the bottom right corner...)

zeroality
02-12-11, 09:11 PM
Would it be possible to make GFX's icon be Pyroon and the Forums icon be Firrel?
Great suggestion. That should help balance out the color scheme nicely. I'll do it and see how it looks after I finish updating the CMS and portal pages.

One thing I will say, I know we're trying to avoid GFX and SFX next to each other, but "Sounds" looks a tad less professional than SFX would, in my opinion.
If anybody has any ideas on what to replace GFX or Sounds with, to avoid the dual FX thing, I'm open to it. I've tried looking up synonyms for 'sounds' but nothing works (either too long or doesn't fit).

I'm lovin' the quick progress you are making... maybe I should take a hint and compose some more... hmm... >_>
Indeed.

Edit: Sorry Cyndadile, I missed your post. Didn't realize there was a Page 2. Hate when that happens.

Lupine might look better (if possible) in the bottom right. Then it kind of follows the border of the page, if that makes any sense. (It's reverse L-shaped, as is the bottom right corner...)
If I understand right... basically you want me to redesign the whole thing and move the sidebar to the right? Yeah, no.

NyteFyre
02-13-11, 03:15 AM
I think he meant to simply replace the Ferrian Pic with Lupine, and place Ferrian in Lupine's original spot.

Tyrannigon64
02-13-11, 03:34 AM
If I understand right, then this is what Cyndadile wants. You see the large light blue rectangle just below the things that say "Sprites", "Pokedex", etc, and to the right of Lupine, Vilephist, and Blitsfaust? I think he wants Lupine's pic to be in the very bottom left corner of said light blue rectangle, behind anything that might be displayed there (e.g. sprites).

ImmunityBow
02-13-11, 04:58 AM
It looks amazing with Pyroon. It just fits in stylistically so well.

zeroality
02-13-11, 12:46 PM
NyteFyre and Tyrannigon, we'll see which one of you wins the grand prize when Cyndadile responds to clear it up.

Sorry, I got caught up talking to an old friend for a while but I got the CMS installed and got a page up:

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/pokemonfrontsprites/

Now you guys can see what it looks like with actual content on there. I haven't switched Pyroon/Firrel yet but I will. Next step is to make the navbar live, then portal pages, then ze content.

Then finally after all that is done, I need to decide what links should go on the sidebar. Oh and adding credits/home links of course, and the IE fixes.

Edit: Btw, here is part of what will be our new custom 404 page: Ampure is shocked! (http://pokemontopaz.net/misc/404.png)

Tyrannigon64
02-13-11, 02:30 PM
That's pretty cool! Also, the 404 page is hilarious.

MeekRhino
02-13-11, 02:55 PM
YES!! I can finally see the sprites and know what everybody is talking about when they mention a pokemon!

Cyndadile
02-13-11, 04:00 PM
This is going to be difficult to explain...

One idea: flip lupine to face the other way.

The thing I said before:
Might not be possible. What I was talking about was basically removing lupine from the sidebar and putting it at the bottom right corner of the screen. If that still doesn't make sense, point to the time on your screen (you know, the display at the bottom of your screen, in windows at least, where you look if you are wondering how long you have been playing a computer game and are beginning to think that maybe its about time that you should take a break). I think Lupine would go well just about there.

zeroality
02-14-11, 12:24 AM
[stuff]
Yeah, alright I understand now.

And I'm assuming the reason for this is because of the direction in which Lupine is facing? Hmm I was about to type out various problems with that idea but as I thought of a problem, I'd think of a solution for it. So I don't know...

I was going to say that if the page is too long then people won't see it but realized I can make it a fixed background, staying in the same place regardless of page length or scrolling. Then I thought 'what can I replace it with' then realized Phoenixsong's Whispaw would probably fit in with the style of Blizfaust/Vilephist.

Still, I don't know though. What do you guys think? I'd need a consensus before I do this.

MeekRhino
02-14-11, 01:11 AM
Honestly I think you should just build the site the way you think it looks good then we can all look at it when it's done. It is hard to judge the final product by its intermediate stages. IB will probably hate me for this, though.

NyteFyre
02-14-11, 01:40 AM
Personally, I agree with Rhino on this. I prefer to critique the "final" product, instead of throwing around random ideas in the middle that may or may not work, and could potentially waste the creator's time.

MeekRhino
02-14-11, 02:16 AM
Right. I think zero could get it done much faster if he didn't have to ask for consent with every single change.

ImmunityBow
02-14-11, 03:44 AM
Please don't make assumptions about what I hate and what I do not. As it happens, I have no reservations about commenting upon an entire site after it's done, or for zero to implement whatever changes he likes before posting for opinions.

zeroality
02-14-11, 10:08 AM
Right. I think zero could get it done much faster if he didn't have to ask for consent with every single change.
I'm looking for opinions, not consent. Besides this is the community's site so you guys should be involved with the design phase.

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/site/worktemp.html

I think the Lupine thing is working really well now, I like it. Not so sure about the sidebar, thoughts on that?

Switched Pyroon/Firrel and added Credits text. I agonized over that one. I tried all kinds of text effects and even tried putting a navigation bubble under it but that looked horrible due to Ferrian being bigger than the rest. Finally settled for what's up there now.

Go ahead and comment, critique, suggest - I'll be working on the other stuff.

Irot_Rebod
02-14-11, 10:49 AM
Looks pretty good - I like where Lupine is now.

I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but the difference in color between the background of Lupine and the body area of the page don't quite match.

Same thing with the bottom sidebar and header, they are darker than the footer. Again, I'm not sure if it's intentional, but it is noticeable.

I like the effect with the Credits on Ferrian. At first I thought the flow didn't work, but the more I look at it, it grows on me. :D

The sidebar might be a bit cluttered now, but I may just need some time getting used to it. XD

Lookin' good, sir.

MeekRhino
02-14-11, 12:06 PM
Sorry IB, didn't mean to assume.

Yeah, that's looking really good.

NyteFyre
02-14-11, 07:27 PM
Everything looks ship shape, and ready to go! Only concerns are a few small things that Irot already noticed.

Cyndadile
02-14-11, 07:57 PM
I like that very much. My only problem is that I feel like there should be a Jirachi somewhere.

Tyrannigon64
02-14-11, 08:09 PM
That looks much better!

zeroality
02-14-11, 09:39 PM
I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but the difference in color between the background of Lupine and the body area of the page don't quite match.

Same thing with the bottom sidebar and header, they are darker than the footer. Again, I'm not sure if it's intentional, but it is noticeable.
Might be due to the PNG compression method I used to reduce file sizes. Can anybody take a screencap for me? It doesn't seem to show up on my monitor.

I like that very much. My only problem is that I feel like there should be a Jirachi somewhere.
Jirachi is prominently featured in the news feed, which will be on the index page.

I wanted to avoid using non-Topaz-made graphics in the design - but Phoenixsong still owes ImmunityBow a couple pieces of art from the contest he won on DA some months ago.

We've asked rp to contact her to get a piece done for now, and I asked for it to be Jirachi so if we can get a good piece then I will probably put it in the sidebar or something.

Irot_Rebod
02-14-11, 10:55 PM
I hope I'm not breaking any rules about image sizes... I can't seem to find the specs. ^^'

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/1815/screencapug.png (http://img441.imageshack.us/i/screencapug.png/)

You can see the colors don't quite line up. They're close... but ever so slightly off.

Merlin
02-14-11, 11:55 PM
I wish to point out that I'm back at the library (my pc died and wont turn on--dont know why yet) and i have to use IE but i'm not sure which one is currently being used...
I looked at some of the links but they wont work. The 404 page worked but the other links wont work (for viewing the toolbar)

Cyndadile
02-15-11, 12:52 AM
It doesn't work on IE yet. It isn't compatible with HTML...5, was it? But I think that it will work on IE by the time that it is finalized. Until then, I (or someone else) could post some screenshots for you. Irot posted the most recent one.

Merlin
02-15-11, 01:36 AM
kay...
I understand that it wasnt going to work with IE but I figured that I would let y'all know where I'm at when i look at it.
I think they have IE 8 but i'm not sure...
nvm they're using IE 7 cause i just went to the microsoft website and it wants me to download IE8

ImmunityBow
02-15-11, 01:42 AM
I don't see the colour discrepancy on Firefox 3.~

Irot_Rebod
02-15-11, 02:11 AM
Interesting, I am also on Firefox 3. Hmm...

NyteFyre
02-15-11, 03:38 AM
I have latest Firefox, aside from the Beta. I don't see the bad parts.

zeroality
02-15-11, 11:55 AM
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/sprites/

Color thing should be fixed, it was a problem with gamma channels in PNG images. Navigation should work 100%. Site should work in IE8/7/6 - albeit no transparent PNGs in 6.

Pages up so far:
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/pokemonfrontsprites/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/pokemonbacksprites/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/trainersprites/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/storyline/ (were these supposed to be ellipses? pasting from .doc is never a good idea)
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/credits/ (need help getting this up-to-date, post who should be added/moved/italicized)

Edit: Oh yeah, I couldn't get Lupine to scroll properly so it anchors the bottom for now. Might fix later.

Tyrannigon64
02-15-11, 01:09 PM
Edit: Oh yeah, I couldn't get Lupine to scroll properly so it anchors the bottom for now. Might fix later.

No, don't fix that, it looks better this way, IMO. Either way, that is really awesome! One suggestion, instead of "Sounds", you could put "Audio".

MeekRhino
02-15-11, 02:25 PM
Why are we missing two backsprites?

Tyrannigon64
02-15-11, 02:33 PM
From what I remember, there's been a lot of trouble with Arowana and Vilephist back sprites.

Reliability
02-15-11, 05:50 PM
X-Antibody did a bunch of stuff so we have usable versions of the stuff we're missing, as well as some improvements to previous sprites. They were going to go up on the repository, but I got lazy and then it crashed. I've taken them, added them to my files and put them into proper format to be added/replaced:
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/676/82zantilidae.pnghttp://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg517/scaled.php?server=517&filename=106abyssus.png&res=galhttp://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg135/scaled.php?server=135&filename=140blitzfaust.png&res=gal
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg152/scaled.php?server=152&filename=141vilephist.png&res=galhttp://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg153/scaled.php?server=153&filename=162ferrain.png&res=galhttp://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg140/scaled.php?server=140&filename=186arowana.png&res=gal

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg511/scaled.php?server=511&filename=177kraklaw.png&res=gal

Kraklaw hasn't been formally approved, since we have to make sure we're definitely using the new front sprite. As soon as I finish posting this, I'll throw up a topic to vote on them.

NyteFyre
02-15-11, 07:35 PM
Hey, I thought STT was also doing Music stuff? How come he isn't in the credits for Music?

Also, you're missing IB in the last set of credits, I believe. Meek Rhino and Tyrannigon should be added to Special Thanks, too. I'd suggest adding yourself to the Programmer's section, sometime, Zero, since you ARE studying Ruby code. RP should go under Forum Maintenance, I believe, He helps IMMENSELY around here, post and sub-forum wise. Also, Is RP's brother ever one anymore? I would Italicize Medioctrity, if he's not. Reli has helped a TON with story production, so he should go there. Phoenixsong is no longer Active, it seems, and Havoc Wraith I haven't seen in months.

One thing I've been wondering...how different is Ruby code from Action Script? I'm learning that in school currently.

Cyndadile
02-15-11, 08:07 PM

No, don't fix that, it looks better this way, IMO.

^Agreed.

Also, I believe Quinn and MewLover EX should be italicized, and Reli should also be under project leaders.
And you missed the first D in Cyndadile.

You've done a lot of work on it!

Tyrannigon64
02-15-11, 08:09 PM
I'd suggest adding yourself to the Programmer's section, sometime, Zero, since you ARE studying Ruby code.

What are you learning Ruby code from? I'd like to learn it myself. Are you learning from a website that I could use to learn?

Reliability
02-15-11, 10:12 PM
Hey, I thought STT was also doing Music stuff? How come he isn't in the credits for Music?
This was an old list, pre-STT. That's why zero asked, as this is a good time for an update.

But I think Nyte and Cyn hit everything. I'll give it a more thorough reading in a bit, but I don't think I see anything else glaringly wrong.

Merlin
02-15-11, 10:52 PM
it looks great so far, and as they pointed out i had thought someone was missing but i couldnt remember the name immediately (forgive me there STT for that) other than that i cant see anything wrong with it...

ImmunityBow
02-16-11, 01:57 AM
NyteFyre got most of it, I'm pretty sure zero does enough around here to definitely be one of the project leaders too, all things considered. Piro should probably be italicized now, too.

zeroality
02-16-11, 06:30 AM
One thing I've been wondering...how different is Ruby code from Action Script? I'm learning that in school currently.
They are similar but Ruby is primarily a stand-alone programming language while ActionScript tends to be used to supplement something like Flash. You can get more detailed explanations of each by looking up the relevant wikipedia articles.

What are you learning Ruby code from? I'd like to learn it myself. Are you learning from a website that I could use to learn?
I was planning on using this QuickStart guide (http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/quickstart/) to get going then move on to the more detailed tutorials (http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/).

changes to CreditsThanks. I did all of what was suggested except for adding ragingprimeape to Site/Forums maintenance. I'm not trying to hog it or take anything away from what rp has done but the true definition of that section was primarily for web/forum design and coding. I changed it to Development to be more specific. I'll also hold off on adding myself in as a programmer until I actually compile something.

I added oykawoo to 'Immense Contributions' since I'd call making pretty much all of the art used in the site/forums design a big contribution. I also added Malphis under special thanks, I guess that was overlooked before.

Speaking of which, I'd like to trim and condense some of these sections.

I think the 'current contributor team' is unnecessary as anybody can go to the forums and view the Contributors list. It's also a bit vague as to who should be on it and who shouldn't so I'd like to remove it altogether. All these people are listed in their own sections or under Special Thanks anyway.

Another thing, I'd like to combine the Special Thanks and Immense Contribution sections. The reason being that most of the people in "immense contribution" are listed in their own sections for their respective type of work. Some of the people in that list are a bit questionable and conversely, there are some people in Special Thanks that could qualify for the other list.

I don't like the idea of saying one single person is more important than the other, or that moving from Special Thanks to Immense Contribution is some kind of promotion. It's not a popularity contest and we need to remove Immense Contribution to reflect that. We can move everybody there into Special Thanks - and the other contributions they have provided for the project are reflected in their respective sections.

Hope you guys agree?

I will change Sounds to Audio - good idea. Also going to leave Lupine anchored to the bottom of pages as suggested.

Didn't get much sleep today so I'm gonna relax and go back to bed in a bit. Will work more when I get up.

Reliability
02-16-11, 02:00 PM
Another thing, I'd like to combine the Special Thanks and Immense Contribution sections. The reason being that most of the people in "immense contribution" are listed in their own sections for their respective type of work. Some of the people in that list are a bit questionable and conversely, there are some people in Special Thanks that could qualify for the other list.

I don't like the idea of saying one single person is more important than the other, or that moving from Special Thanks to Immense Contribution is some kind of promotion. It's not a popularity contest and we need to remove Immense Contribution to reflect that. We can move everybody there into Special Thanks - and the other contributions they have provided for the project are reflected in their respective sections.

It is kind of a useless section, and it just creates another tier of people that are "more important" than the others, which isn't true when all contributions are equally necessary.
I'm in favour of ditching it, as well as the current contributor team.

ImmunityBow
02-17-11, 12:08 AM
The reason for the "Immense Contribution" list was because I actually didn't know what most of the people on Special Thanks had done. From what I remember aside from front sprites/old script/region map/moves we ended up discarding most of what was done on Pokerealm (and 80% by Novoni, at that), and so I kept people who had been recognized before but had intangible contributions in the Special Thanks list, along with people who weren't recognized as contributors but still contributed in some way. It wasn't really a popularity contest, just a way for me to keep in mind contributions I actually knew.

Not to mention some people did a lot of work on movesets, dex entries, etc. and couldn't really be categorized well.

SilentSentinel
02-17-11, 01:40 AM
Thanks. I did all of what was suggested except for adding ragingprimeape to Site/Forums maintenance. I'm not trying to hog it or take anything away from what rp has done but the true definition of that section was primarily for web/forum design and coding. I changed it to Development to be more specific. I'll also hold off on adding myself in as a programmer until I actually compile something.

Couldn't agree more, all I really do is lock threads and such. The actual forum development requires web site knowledge.

Irot_Rebod
02-17-11, 06:27 AM
Couple of things, sorry I've been absent. >.<

1: The colors still aren't fixed. This time, I used the fill tool in paint to show that there are different shades at work. Maybe my eyes are hyper-sensitive, but it sticks out to me. I used this obnoxious green color to point out the spots.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/3817/screencap2.png (http://img819.imageshack.us/i/screencap2.png/)

2: This is honestly just knit-picking, but I'm trying to help with as much as possible with using professional titles and such (which, by the way, Audio is definitely the best label we've got without going SFX. Good catch. :D) Anyways, back on track... the title of "Music Design" is a tad archaic... and STT and I have very different jobs... his revolves around the technological side of better programmed instruments and arranging, mine around the musical/theoretical side of composition. The proper titles, if I may be so bold as to suggest this, would be "Music Composition: Irot_Rebod" and "Sound Engineer: STT". Sorry I'm bringing this up now - it was something that I brought up to BT a LONG time ago.

Good progress, still! :D

zeroality
02-17-11, 12:46 PM
If you looked at the demo site, then they might still be using the old images.

Is it messed up at http://pokemontopaz.net/pokemonfrontsprites ?

If so, I need a screenshot without the green highlighting.

Edit: I didn't see the page you were on. Alright, screenshot without highlighting then please.

The color mix-up is fixed in IE though. I tested it myself. It was messed up in IE8 for me, then I removed gamma and it was fine. Just FYI.

While I'm here, I'll post what I've done so far. Also, I take it there are no objections to my proposed changes to the Credits page?

(ignore the directories in the links, i didn't feel like editing them out this time - it won't show that way when linked on the main site. if you remove them, the links still work - it's just page hierarchy setup in CMSMS)

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/pokedex/pokedexlisting/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/sprites/pokemonfrontsprites/ (updated with paragraphs, same stuff is on backsprites)
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/gfx/regionmap/cianwoodcity/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/gfx/regionmap/aquapoliscity/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/gfx/regionmap/cetaceatown/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/gfx/regionmap/triumphspire/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/gfx/regionmap/colossuscity/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/gfx/regionmap/dynamogardens/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/gfx/regionmap/enechestracity/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/gfx/regionmap/skobelofftown/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/gfx/regionmap/galleacity/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/gfx/regionmap/hollowlogcity/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/gfx/regionmap/icthyescity/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/gfx/regionmap/kalypsocity/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/gfx/regionmap/laysantown/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/gfx/regionmap/mistvalecity/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/gfx/regionmap/olivinecity/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/gfx/regionmap/portwindcity/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/gfx/regionmap/saharancity/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/gfx/regionmap/sedcinicity/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/gfx/regionmap/softwindcity/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/gfx/regionmap/neobay/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/gfx/regionmap/sunsetvillage/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/gfx/regionmap/roothavencity/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/gfx/regionmap/cranewingcity/

Am I missing any cities/towns? Also the ones that say [insert map] will have their maps put on. I just removed the photobucket links and will put in ones that are hosted on our own server.

Edit2: Argh I missed the last part of your post.

Can I just put everybody in "Audio Development" instead? You, STT, Pikang, Lurker.

Irot_Rebod
02-17-11, 07:08 PM
Edit2: Argh I missed the last part of your post.

Can I just put everybody in "Audio Development" instead? You, STT, Pikang, Lurker.

This would definitely work, too.

I'll take some SS's when I get back tonight. Busy, busy, busy.

MeekRhino
02-17-11, 09:36 PM
Well done, I'm glad I could finally get caught up and know what everyone is talking about (in regards to topaz storyline info). I can't wait to see the maps!

Merlin
02-17-11, 11:48 PM
It's looking great so far from what i can tell...

Irot_Rebod
02-18-11, 07:08 AM
The color issues are still prevalent. Here are the unaltered SS's of the sprites page.

Top of Sprites Page (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21/screencap3.png/)

Bottom of Sprites Page (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/600/screencap4.png/)

MeekRhino
02-18-11, 12:16 PM
Wow I see now. That's annoying. Good spotting that IR

Tyrannigon64
02-18-11, 01:01 PM
Oh great. It appears I'm colour blind because two people see the problem, and I don't.

zeroality
02-18-11, 01:05 PM
Any chance I could get a screenshot of the entire browser?

Feel free to black out tabs, address bar, bookmarks menu, and whatever else.

Seems to be a browser-specific issue. Lame.

MeekRhino
02-18-11, 02:29 PM
I don't have the problem on my browser, but I do see it in IR's screenshot.

Irot_Rebod
02-18-11, 05:31 PM
Any chance I could get a screenshot of the entire browser?

Feel free to black out tabs, address bar, bookmarks menu, and whatever else.

Seems to be a browser-specific issue. Lame.

Probably didn't need the bottom half, but I put it in anyways. :P

Top of Page (http://img710.imageshack.us/i/screencap5.png/)

Bottom of Page (http://img842.imageshack.us/i/screencap6.png/)

... and I have nothing to hide. ;)

Tyrannigon64
02-18-11, 07:11 PM
Oh, now I see it. I just needed to look closer :P

zeroality
02-18-11, 08:05 PM
Oh, now I see it. I just needed to look closer :P
Do you see it on your own browser too, or just in IR's screenshot?

@IR, thanks. I will try to find out what is going on. I didn't get much done today but I'm fixing to go take a nap and will churn out more pages after.

Irot_Rebod
02-18-11, 08:08 PM
@IR, thanks. I will try to find out what is going on. I didn't get much done today but I'm fixing to go take a nap and will churn out more pages after.

No problem. Get some sleep. It's like... everybody's best friend. And wonder drug. :P

Tyrannigon64
02-18-11, 09:16 PM
No problem. Get some sleep. It's like... everybody's best friend. And wonder drug. :P

A wonder drug that makes you high! Come on, don't tell me it's natural to see some of the stuff you see in your dreams. Anyways, it's more noticeable in IR's screenshots, but I can just barely see it on my browser. I'm using Google Chrome, btw.

zeroality
02-19-11, 06:49 AM
I can just barely see it on my browser. I'm using Google Chrome, btw.
Mind taking a screenshot so I can verify this and help diagnose the problem?

You probably know how to, but in case you don't, click the Print Screen (or PrtScrn) key on your keyboard (upper right, next to scroll lock usually) and open Paint or whatever other image editing program and paste (ctrl+v should work) the screenshot. Then save it as jpg or png and upload wherever - like photobucket or imageshack.

Feel free to use the brush tool to black out any areas you don't want shown, such as your taskbar or areas of the browser. Much appreciated.

Late Edit: I'm still working on updating the Concept Art page. I'm trying to find a way to do it without javascript but the inconsistency of the image sizes is problematic. I updated the Neo Bay, Softwind, Cranewing, and Sunset Village pages with their maps. I wanted to resize the thumbnails for a consistency in height but realized that someone might need to make a very wide map and that would cause problems so I resized by width instead.

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/index/stateoftopaz/
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/index/historyoftopaz/

I've also got the index page sorted out but need to apply the styling for the new State of Topaz container. Then I need to do the portal pages and the sidebar links. After that, and the color problem being fixed, the site will be ready to go live.

I'll still be putting in stuff after that. I'd like to get pages done for our moves, items, tms, and other such information. There's also the issue of getting our sound files on the soundtrack pages. I hope the dewplayer still works with this version of CMSMS.

Tyrannigon64
02-19-11, 03:06 PM
How should I put a screenshot online? Also, am I the only one here that uses Google Chrome?

For those who can't see it, there's a slightly lighter shade of blue at Whispaw's foot and above than there is beneath it. And there is a less noticeable slightly darker blue in the "imaginary box" Lupine is in than there is everywhere else with text and pictures and stuff.

MeekRhino
02-19-11, 03:44 PM
To get a screenshot: press the [Prt Sc] button, then open paint and press [Ctrl]+[v] . Then resize, because some upload sites won't allow large images. I usually use imageshack (http://www.imageshack.com).

Blade Flight
02-19-11, 03:50 PM
I used to use ImageShack, but I can't anymore; the damned thing keeps giving me viruses that disable my firewall...

MeekRhino
02-19-11, 04:52 PM
I've never had any problems.

Tyrannigon64
02-19-11, 05:43 PM
Also, am I the only one here that uses Google Chrome?

zeroality
02-20-11, 04:58 AM
Also, am I the only one here that uses Google Chrome?
I have it on my computer but haven't used it regularly since Chrome 5 came out and was twice as slow as v4. It gets about 12-15% usage on Topaz according to the web stats.

As I said, you can upload it to either imageshack or photobucket or just e-mail it to me at zeroality@gmail.com

As for "does anybody else notice", the problem apparently doesn't show up for everyone so I'm trying to figure out why it does for select people - which is why I need that screenshot.

Cyndadile
02-20-11, 12:20 PM
I kind of see it under whispaw, but you seem to have fixed it on lupine (I used to see it, but no longer do).

Tyrannigon64
02-20-11, 08:46 PM
Yeah, the Lupine thing is no longer there. I don't feel like making an Imageshack or Photobucket account right now, so I will email it to you.

MeekRhino
02-21-11, 12:12 PM
You don't have to have an account to upload images on imageshack

zeroality
02-21-11, 12:54 PM
Alright, I just updated the images. Apparently I had 16bit channel RGB on my PSDs for some reason - so I switched back to 8bit.

Hopefully this fixes the problem. If not, let me know and I will have to post at a web design forum to ask. Noting that I checked this on my Firefox, Chrome, IE8 (on Win 7) as well as my nephew's computer (on XP) in his Chrome and IE7. Please give me good news. Oh, and I changed it to Audio as suggested. I feel like I'm forgetting another suggestion though... I'll go through this thread again in a bit.

http://pokemontopaz.net/regionmap
http://pokemontopaz.net/sprites (still working on it, item/misc pages dont work yet)

I'm working on several pages at once. As soon as ImmunityBow clears up the issue as of what he wants to do with the State of Topazes on the index page - and confirming the color problem is fixed - the site will be ready to go live! Let me know IR.

Tyrannigon, I got your e-mail, and thank you. I forgot to change the background color of the page wrapper - which is what enables the sidebar to scroll down to the bottom instead of getting cut off. I appreciate it and can't believe I overlooked that. Hopefully IR's problem is fixed now too.

NyteFyre
02-21-11, 04:00 PM
I never had any problems, and still don't, but good job, getting that fixed, Zero!

Irot_Rebod
02-21-11, 05:43 PM
A few of the colors were fixed. Only two that I see now:

The sidebar that scrolls from beneath Whispaw and the bottom scroll are the same color blue, but they are lighter than the top part of the sidebar and navigation bar.

Lupine still has the slightly different blue around his image. I refreshed all the pages and they are all like that.

I don't want to hold up the site being finished, though... so if it's just me, go for it.

I'll post SS's tonight when I'm done with my daily activities. -,-

Irot_Rebod
02-22-11, 04:58 AM
Sorry for double-post. :s

Top of Page (http://img249.imageshack.us/i/screencap7a.png/) and a Highlighted Version (http://img816.imageshack.us/i/screencap7b.png/).

Bottom of Page (http://img207.imageshack.us/i/screencap8a.png/) and a Highlighted Version (http://img541.imageshack.us/i/screencap8b.png/).

The Audio label looks much better than the Sounds label, by the way. ;)

zeroality
02-22-11, 07:02 AM
Just to confirm one more time, can you Shift+Refresh and see if they are all still that way?

If so, then I'll post somewhere else and see if anybody knows what's going on. But yeah it does seem like you are the only one with the problem. I won't let it delay the site release, don't worry. I'd still like to fix the problem, if possible.

I'm working on pages and stuff. Anyone care to take a look at http://www.pokemontopaz.net/conceptart/ and let me know if there are any problems? I added Blitzfaust, Lupine, Duval, Seraph, and posted the original Kraklaw art. The one that got uploaded previously had white outlines somehow. Lightbox hasn't been implemented yet so you can just click on the thumbnails for now, if you'd like.

Oh, I also updated the credits (http://pokemontopaz.net/credits) page if anyone wants to double check that too. I'm gonna work on setting up the Index and the sidebar links then I'll hopefully have this pushed live before I go to bed later today.

Irot_Rebod
02-22-11, 07:09 AM
Even with Shift+Refresh the colors remain. :(

Glad this won't hinder progress. I'm happy that the site will be back up. :D

I do wonder what my issue is, though... besides the obvious ones. >_>

EDIT: Credits page looks good, as does the Concept Art page.

NyteFyre
02-22-11, 11:42 AM
I don't see the problem with the top page in your SS's, IR, but i do however, see the problem with Lupine. Maybe i should go recheck and make sure i don't have the problem. I had to look kinda hard at the SS to find the problem, though it was most apparent near Tagati.

Edit: Yeah, i still don't see it in my browser.

Tyrannigon64
02-22-11, 02:44 PM
The problems are not present in Google Chrome as far as I can tell, but are very noticeable in the screenshots.

MeekRhino
02-22-11, 09:10 PM
What are you planning to do for the audio page?

zeroality
02-24-11, 09:04 AM
Thanks guys. Looks like there's just something quirky with Irot's computer/settings. Need to find out what and I've pestered the poor lad enough. I'll check into it.

What are you planning to do for the audio page?
Not 100% sure yet. It's always a pain to embed players directly on webpages or have pages play audio files. The good ones either want you to display a humongous link-back to their site or want you to pay for it. Neither are pleasant options. We did have a 'dewplayer' plugin that worked with the Repository but I don't know if it is compatible with this new version of the CMS. Need to check into that.

You can go to http://pokemontopaz.net/sprites and just use the main links at top to navigate back and forth to see what we have on the site so far. It's all listed under each section's portal page.

Will be working on: adding dex information - moves, TMs, entries, so on; Pokemon Icons; Shiny Sprites; adding more item sprites; updating battle backgrounds; updating city/town descriptions; adding city/town/route/dungeon maps (once I confirm that they're still usable, I seem to have a few that were in the uploads folder in the old Repository).

I'd also like to create pages for each of the dungeons but I don't know how up-to-date the "detailed map" is. When I get to that point, I'll ask Reli/IB/rp and see if they can point me in the right direction.

I'm going to go ahead and put the site up once the index page and news page are done though. The index page is going to be the latest SoT in a nicely formatted block with a link to 'latest news' somewhere - which will basically be the news boxes with the Jirachi/Pokeball silhouette headers and possibly a list of latest threads as well as latest updated site pages.

Lots of stuff planned, glad I got all that typed out. It'll serve as a to-do list of sorts. It's helping me become more familiar with Topaz material, making all these pages. I'll need the knowledge when I am programming the game.

It would also be cool to have special pages for certain features - like one of each Gym Leader with their Pokemon/moves, maybe? I'm not sure how much information was finalized in the ~6 months I was gone.

Oh I also have some overworld sprites but not very many.

Any suggestions/ideas/thoughts/comments/criticisms?

ImmunityBow
02-24-11, 01:05 PM
There was tons of Gym Leader discussion. Most has been finalized or something close but it's too much to summarize:
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/forums/showthread.php?804-Gym-Leaders-Who-And-Where-Are-They/page4

I think we can fit in all of the dungeons on the detailed map in. Though the script is getting a rewrite there's no need to throw away any of the locations, really. I wouldn't put in Tetralith Cave though, since that's not coming around until patches. On Route 212 there is a ghost town, so that could be added. Otherwise I can't think of anything more that was really changed.

NyteFyre
02-24-11, 08:02 PM
Yeah, it was more basic storyline, and simple asthetic changes that were made.

zeroality
02-27-11, 09:30 AM
I grabbed a lot of stuff and still need to update some of the pages with the new material. I'll do that after the site goes live - which only needs one more thing for that to happen: the SoT format done for the index.

I think I've changed my mind about the news, the latest threads, and the latest updated pages though and am going to leave those out. I don't want to clutter up the site.

I've been real tired and sleeping a lot but I finished the sidebar. I tried to avoid using images so that the sidebar doesn't get obstructed, so it isn't too pretty but it is functional and eye-catching.

http://pokemontopaz.net/sprites/

The bottom right of each page now shows when it was last updated.

Cyndadile
02-27-11, 01:52 PM
The white links are killing me.

Tyrannigon64
02-27-11, 02:31 PM
The white links are killing me.

Agreed.

MeekRhino
02-27-11, 07:10 PM
Same here.

NyteFyre
02-28-11, 04:13 AM
what's with some of the links being white, and others being dark?

zeroality
02-28-11, 06:56 AM
Er? I just changed it a bit ago to a light shade of blue.

The trouble is that darker links won't show up well against the background so it has to be a relatively light color.

The text with the larger font size is the header of the links, signifying what they are - and that is going to be a white color as it is now.

How is that shade of blue for the links? Site is live btw - http://pokemontopaz.net

Edit: Nyte, I realized what you're talking about. I accidentally messed up the visited links color but fixed it. You don't see the problem anymore, right?

Cyndadile
02-28-11, 12:25 PM
Links are definitly better. I like the mouseover color. It was a very good choice.

Ampure is shocked to see me!

NyteFyre
02-28-11, 09:44 PM
Ok, I can see it now, and it looks much better! Thanks Zero!

SilentSentinel
02-28-11, 11:34 PM
The site looks awesome! Thanks for all the hard work you put into it!

MeekRhino
03-01-11, 04:00 AM
I think I speak for everyone when I say how thankful we are for the time you put into getting it up so fast!! Not only fast, but it looks great too!

Merlin
03-01-11, 10:24 PM
very epic main page btw!!!

zeroality
03-02-11, 03:06 AM
Thanks guys. I actually thought I was rather slow in getting this done but I appreciate it. :)

Since I added the Resources thing to the sidebar, I decided to go ahead and make an updates page so everybody can keep track with what's being updated on the site. I will add it in to the sidebar when it is finalized.

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/updates/

I'm going to bed, too tired to check the forums so I'll catch up with y'all tomorrow.

Edit: Also what number of pages do you guys think is good to display? It is set to 25 right now and seems a bit much. I could set an initial number for the /updates page then add in links for more, like 30 | 40 | 50 | etc. Thoughts?

Cyndadile
03-02-11, 08:03 PM
10 or 15 would be good.
Also, make sure it doesn't list itself when it updates with the newly updated pages. Then every other thing would be the updates page.

zeroality
03-02-11, 08:35 PM
Also, make sure it doesn't list itself when it updates with the newly updated pages. Then every other thing would be the updates page.
Sorry, but I lol'd.

Actually the only reason the updates page is on there is because I created it and modified the page just last night. What it's using is an automated script built into our CMS so no, it won't list itself unless the page is actually modified. Once I finalize the layout for the update page, it won't show up again at all unless I change something on it. :D

Working on it as much as I can, but nephew is coming over today.

Cyndadile
03-03-11, 08:08 PM
Just wanted to be sure.

Tyrannigon64
03-06-11, 01:19 AM
Just curious, why aren't the icons on the website?

Reliability
03-06-11, 01:55 AM
I think zero wanted to animate them before putting them up. A lot of them aren't done, so the page would be half empty anyway.

zeroality
03-07-11, 04:23 AM
Yeah, I'll get to it when I can.

I know what you said in the other thread but I need to make them uniform for game placement while not screwing up the intended animation effects.

I already have it figured out, just need to find the few hours it will take to dedicate to the process. Maybe I'll do them in parts, starting with yours.

Tyrannigon64
03-07-11, 01:05 PM
Just out of curiosity, how long does it take to animate one icon?

zeroality
03-07-11, 03:40 PM
For icons that have both frames in one image:

- open in Photoshop
- cut/paste each one into a new image of specific size as layers
- if image is not transparent, then must make it such
- align properly
- open in ImageReady (PS does not do animated GIFs, but IR comes with it)
- toggle frames 1 and 2 to be visible/invisible on their respective animated frame
- set length of animation
- save

Repeat. For icons that have them as two separate images the steps are the same except I have to cut/paste each image into the one with two layers.

It doesn't take long but with 50 or so icons, it adds up.

Tyrannigon64
03-07-11, 04:39 PM
I don't use Photoshop. So what would that be, 1-2 minutes per icon?

Reliability
03-07-11, 11:45 PM
More like 5 by the sound of it.

Cyndadile
03-08-11, 01:02 AM
UNLESS you create a program to do it for you, in which case it would take about 30 seconds per icon, after the 5 hours it would take to create and test the program.

Makes me think of one of those math problems: If without the program it takes 5 minutes per icon, and with the program it takes 30 seconds AFTER a 5-hour creation time for the program, how many icons would there need to be to make the program more efficient?
5x=300+.5x
4.5x=300
x=66 2/3
Answer: 67 icons.
I need a life.

Tyrannigon64
03-08-11, 01:05 AM
I need a life.

I need one too. Next time I go looking for one, I'll see if I can find one for you too.

Cyndadile
03-08-11, 01:06 AM
Thanks. I appreciate it.

Tyrannigon64
03-10-11, 01:07 AM
Found a grammar error in the About Topaz section

We strive to present ourselves as an high quality RPG for all Pokémon fans to enjoy.

Reliability
03-10-11, 02:23 AM
Fixed.

Tyrannigon64
03-10-11, 02:30 AM
I found another one. Concept art, under X-Antibody's awesome Ferrian, it says Ice instead of Ghost/Steel.

Reliability
03-10-11, 01:57 PM
Also fixed.

zeroality
03-14-11, 03:09 AM
When I made the Shiny Front Sprites page, I noticed that after I rearranged the page order it showed the pages that it moved over/under to be marked as updated.

Ugh, how do I say that without it sounding like some complicated time travel theory? Anyway, that's why the 9-10 pages below it showed up as being updated.

I posted about the problem at the CMSMS forums (http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=52743) and hopefully someone will help me come up with a fix.

Cyndadile
03-14-11, 07:12 PM
What I'm hearing is that you basically added the Shiny Fronts page to a type of list, so it marked everything else in the list as updated? Is that what you're trying to say?

Otherwise, Celebi might help with the time travel.

zeroality
03-15-11, 07:20 PM
Add new page > move page up/down in list > other pages that didn't get moved are marked as updated > angry zero.

And to illustrate, which hopefully explains it better than words ever could:

http://pokemontopaz.net/zero/angryexample.png

The guys at CMSMS aren't being as forthcoming as I had hoped. Seems I'm on my own as far as editing how the function behaves. I'll get to it when I can and see what I can do about it.

Cyndadile
03-15-11, 07:33 PM
That's about what I was thinking. You won't be adding too many more pages, will you? It shouldn't be a huge issue.

zeroality
03-16-11, 06:44 AM
I suppose I could come up with all the new pages and create them now then order all at once.

Let's go ahead and do that.

Pokemon Shiny Back Sprites
TM/HM List
Moves List
Abilities List
Gym Leaders/Lineups
Encounter Rates
Pokedex Entries

Uh, what else? Full list of all current pages here (http://www.pokemontopaz.net/sandbox/).

I guess I should go ahead and add pages for all the special areas - like the caves and such. I'll need a list of the ones not on the detailed map (http://www.pokemontopaz.net/fullmap), and if any of the ones on the detailed map need to be scrapped.

Ideas for pages? Doesn't matter if we're not going to be using them for a while or not, I can just go ahead and get them added.

Cyndadile
03-16-11, 07:07 PM
Can't think of any. And the page makes me feel unwelcome.

Tyrannigon64
03-22-11, 12:19 PM
It says that Barkub is a Normal type on the site. It is a Fire type, right?

Reliability
03-22-11, 01:13 PM
No, it is not. It and Vixun are the Azuril's of Topaz.

Tyrannigon64
03-22-11, 01:20 PM
Oh. Well it says that Vixun is a Fire type.

Cyndadile
03-22-11, 07:00 PM
Well, we're certainly consistant at being inconsistant!

zeroality
03-22-11, 09:17 PM
Oh. Well it says that Vixun is a Fire type.
Are we going to update it to Normal type?

Reliability
03-22-11, 11:00 PM
Done.

Tyrannigon64
03-24-11, 03:40 PM
There are no links anywhere to the icons or the shinies.

Reliability
03-24-11, 04:57 PM
The Icon page and shiny backsprite pages aren't complete. When they are, the links will be added.

The Shiny frontsprite one might want to be added. I know we can link to it (http://www.pokemontopaz.net/pokemonshinyfrontsprites/), but I guess zero hasn't add the opportunity to fit it in with the pages yet. I might try it out later once I figure out how to do the coding again, but I may just leave it to avoid majorly screwing things up.

But it's just shines, and it's not a huge deal if they aren't up on the site.

Cyndadile
03-24-11, 06:58 PM
But it's just shines, and it's not a huge deal if they aren't up on the site.

Quinn would kill you if he was here. But yeah, that's true. Basically, the most important stuff is already up and linked to somwhere.

zeroality
03-24-11, 10:48 PM
Quinn would kill you if he was here.
Ohohoho. Actually I hadn't linked it yet because I wanted to get Shiny Back Sprites done first but I guess that's going to take a while.

I'll update the site today and link the Shiny Fronts, as well as fixing the icons page, and getting a shiny back sprites page under construction then linking those two as well.

I also have a few things to put on the site, like the new trainer sprites that have been done recently.

zeroality
04-27-11, 03:49 AM
Sorry for the neglect but I finally updated material on the site.

-Diamond Dust
-Shrapnel
-Orion Ball
-Rocket Ball
-Stribra Art
-Battle Backgrounds

Trainer Sprites:
Sorted and labeled by group.
-Torri
-Crys
-Fighter
-Default Male
-Bookworm
-Dancer
-Cheryl
-Orion Defender Female
-Orion Defender Male
-Orion Admin Kario
-Orion Admin Ecne
-Orion Admin Knight
I still have some building interiors but those can wait. I got the bulk of the backlog out of the way, but I'm tired now. I also need confirmation from Reliability on whether the Mermaid trainer is a cosplayer or an actual mermaid.

On an additional note, some of you may have noticed that there is now a Morning v2 Beta forum skin. I'll be making modifications (mainly the navbar/header area) but haven't started anything yet. I'll be working on it bit by bit throughout the week.