Thread: Pokemon Spriting Contest

Threaded View

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Default Pokemon Spriting Contest

Hello kids. Welcome to Pokemon Topaz Pokemon Spriting Contest 2012 (PTPSC2k12)

DA FORMAT
    The contest is a series of five rounds. Upon completion of each round, a score out of 10 will be awarded to each sprite along with an explanation. The contestants will receive points based on how well they placed in the round (person in first receives 6 points, person in second gets 5, and so on). Depending on the difficulty of the round, points will start at a higher number. Obviously the person with the most points by the end will win.

Each round will have a specified day on which the sprites are due, and getting them in before that day is the only way to guarantee that it will be counted. If a sprite is submitted late but I haven't gotten around to posting the results, I will allow the sprite to count. If you miss the boat, you're score for the round will be 0.

When making your sprite, you may use sprites from any game. Just keep in mind that quality is generally what I'll be looking for, so most rounds will lend themselves to using sprites from RSE, FRLG, DPP, or BW. But the game from which your materials come will never be restricted. It will simply be the Pokemon I want you to use. So if I want you to use Flareon, you could use it from any game you wanted, incuding Yellow if you were planning to revamp it or whatever.

All submissions should be done through PM. Please host your submissions on Imageshack or Photobucket instead of using the forum's album feature. This prevents someone seeing your work and copying an idea you had. This way, we can ensure any similarities are purely coincidental. DO NOT save as jpg. or submit something that is skewed somehow, as I will be judging the submissions based on what you submit, not what it's potential is.

Any decisions are purely my personal opinion. There are no appeals, no re-dos, and no whining. I am and have always been the sole judge of these competitions without incident, and I don't feel like its worth arguing over if you think that I'm wrong. This is my competition.

Without further ado....
    ROUND ONE
    Recolour

Basic, yes? The recolour is a form of spriting so simple that I actually don't really consider it an actual art form. Anyone can take a sprite, open MSPaint and use some right-click eraser action to create a recolour in less than five minutes.
    But I figured we can start off with something easy.

Your task is to choose any second generation Pokemon and recolour it with the palette of a fourth generation Pokemon of the same type or dual type (i.e. HootHoot recoloured Starly, Pineco recoloured Kircketune, ect.)
    Things to think about:
    • Try to choose an option that looks natural on the Pokemon, but is still a noticeable change
    • For an extra level of difficulty, try overshading. Here is a decent YouTube video explaining the process *The suggestion to overshade is for this challenge only.
    • As with any round with this much choice, what Pokemon you choose to use is a factor. Think about making unexpected choices where possible.

**If anyone not yet signed up would like to participate, they simply need to submit their sprite into the active round. Obviously coming in late puts you at a disadvantage, but it will be possible to place well coming into the second and third rounds.

The rounds will be long to facilitate the busy schedules I know most people have. The deadline is SEPTEMBER 29th. Therefore, the earliest that the results will be posted is 12:00am September 30th.
    Last edited by Reliability; 09-21-12 at 06:41 PM.