+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Turn off the post edit time limit.

Still No MIDI Keyboard

Default Turn off the post edit time limit.

Okay, this is really starting to get on my nerves. I'm currently on my third rearrangement of the midi songs, but when I go to post a third after a double edit, it's around five minutes later and the time limit kicks in by then, forcing me to post twice. My suggestion is to turn it off. It's just insanely annoying having to ask a mod to edit my post when there isn't one on and I could have just done it myself.

Administrator

I just looked and the control panel says the time limit for editing posts is set to 60 min. You sure you can't edit after 5 min?

It's on for a reason and 1 hour is sufficient but if it's not working then I need to fix it.
    Last edited by zeroality; 03-30-11 at 12:26 AM.

I think people should have all the time they want to edit, I agree with STT

"We nicknamed her Bean"

The only issue with allowing people to edit their posts whenever they want is that information can be changed or lost. If we need to read through a discussion a few months in the future and every single post has been edited because the person didn't want to look stupid or wasn't happy with their argument, then we wouldn't get a fair picture of how the decision was made. Its difficult to update things for that reason.

Honestly, nobody cares if you double-post, triple-post, quadruple-post as long as the time has expired. It honestly takes no effort for me to merge posts, so don't worry about it. If your topic starts to get super messy, I'll clean it up a little. But we've never made a big deal of double positing rules because we have a edit limit.

Coder

I agree. I think that the first post in each topic should have all of the most up to date information in it. Allowing just the first post to be edited would be very convenient because then no one has to sift through pages of posts for all of the information they need. If we want to make sure nothing gets lost, then each time the original post is edited, the creator should bump the topic with a post describing the changes just made.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    I agree. I think that the first post in each topic should have all of the most up to date information in it.
    If someone creates a topic like this, let me or another mod/admin know. We can update the first post periodically.

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Reliability View Post
    If someone creates a topic like this, let me or another mod/admin know. We can update the first post periodically.
    Dex entries. We used to do that, but it kind of stopped.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Because they aren't really long enough to warrant it anymore. Unless a topic is longer than 20 or so posts, it dosen't take that long to skim through them. Especially now when we're usually working on developing a single entry instead of producing several suggestions. If a particular one becomes troublesome, I'll do it again.

Administrator

I didn't realize this until a couple of weeks ago but vBulletin actually has an "edit history" feature and I just enabled it.

Posts are now able to be edited indefinitely but each edit will add an history if you do it past the 5 minute limit for "edited by" to show up.

Mods/admins/self will be able to click the "edited by name" (which is now a link, for edits made after this point in time) and see all previous versions. Self being the user. You can't see other people's edit histories but you can see your own.

Now everybody's happy!

Edit: BTW, here is the URL syntax.

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/forums/p...ory.php?p=3845

Anyone not mod/admin/self will get error but just wanted to show you guys. You can get the number for p=xxx by seeing the url on "#x" post on the upper right of posts. Such as this one, which is http://www.pokemontopaz.net/forums/s...ll=1#post18579

So that'd be posthistory.php?p=18579 - Just throwing this bit of technical stuff out there for anyone who wants to know.

I just tested it for additions, and deletions. Works both ways.
    Last edited by zeroality; 03-30-11 at 12:27 AM. Reason: added last line

+ Reply to Thread