+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The Gym Suggestions.

Eighty More Posts

whats cooking up here sounds good to my understanding

Spriter and Gym designer

Enechestra Gym.
    Wall wall wall wall wall wall

White space: Empty space. Player can stand here.
    Grey space: Wall. Player can not stand here.
    Purple space: Mine cart. If player goes into it, it follows the red tracks. Otherwise, player can not stand here.
    Red tracks: Mine cart will travel along these if the player goes into it. Player can stand here unless there is a hole beneath it (i.e. coordinates (X 14, Y 7)).
    Dark blue space: Hole. Player can not stand here.
    Light blue space: Just there to group tracks that rotate together to make things easier. Pretend they are white.
    A: Switch. If the player activates it, it flips coordinates (X 3-4, Y 20-22) vertically.
    B: Switch. If the player activates it, it flips coordinates (X 19-22, Y 21-23) horizantally.
    C: Switch. If the player activates it, it flips coordinates (X 13-15, Y 27-28) horizantally.
    D: Switch. If the player activates it, it flips coordinates (X 8-10, Y 30-31) horizantally.
    E: Switch. If the player activates it, it flips coordinates (X 21-22, Y 30-32) vertically.
    F: Switch. If the player activates it, it flips coordinates (X 35-36, Y 23-25) vertically
    G: Switch. If the player activates it, it flips coordinates (X 19-20, Y 38-40) horizantally.
    H: Switch. If the player activates it, it flips coordinates (X 13-15, Y 36-37) vertically.
    I: Switch. If the player activates it, it flips coordinates (X 30-31, Y 9-11) vertically.
    J: Gym leader.

Administrator

This seems cool except that it's very big for a gym. Is it possible to scale down the size a little? I don't think nine switches are necessary, six would probably be a little more manageable.

Also, for Therma's Gym, I was looking through my old sprites and came across this one:

I edited it a bit (mainly hair and added collar), maybe it could work as a librarian in Therma's gym? The main gripe with it before was that it was too plain, so if someone wants to help fix that feel free. It's a full scratch by the way.
    Last edited by ImmunityBow; 02-27-11 at 08:21 PM.

Spriter and Gym designer

Would five switches be okay? Also, I think your sprite's legs are a bit too long, but otherwise I like it.

Spriter and Gym designer

Edit button expired, therefore double post.

Before I made the Enechestra gym, I had an idea for an electric gym, but it was very similar to this (spinner tiles, where some of them can be changed by pressing switches, some of said switches being along the path and you press them while being pushed around by the spinner tiles). Should I bother posting it or should I come up with something else?

Secret Agent

Why not? If you've got the room in your album, might as well give it a chance.

Administrator

Five switches seems fine.

I actually think the sprite looks great the way it is. I'm sure it would be fine with slightly shortened legs also.
    ö¿ö

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Refer to this topic for my edited version of IB's sprite.
    I figure its a better place to discuss this anyway.

Spriter and Gym designer

Okay, I'll try to upload the Dynamo Gardens gym I thought of when I get the chance. BTW, I've thought of another basic idea for the Dynamo Gardens gym, not the actual layout just the idea, so I'll make that when I get the chance. I think my first priority, though, is to edit the existing Enechestra gym. Also, I can't think of anything for Saharan gym. Anyone have any ideas?

"We nicknamed her Bean"

For Saharan, I'd be down for a maze. There's a pervading Egyptian theme to the city, and a labyrinth seems to fit.

I think that a labyrinth would be good, especially with limited vision (think the pyramid in battle frontier emerald version).
    ö¿ö

Spriter and Gym designer

It's Egyptian themed? I guess it's easier to think of an Egyptian gym than it is to think of just a Ground gym. Just a maze seems kind of boring though. I'd like to have booby traps, but I can't really think of any that would work. I'll see what I can think of.

Edit: MeekRhino posted while I was posting :P Yeah, limited vision could work, but I don't remember anything from the Battle Frontier. At all. So I don't really know what your talking about. I will when I get back to playing Sapphire though, which should be during March Break.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Just be careful to not make it like Dewford, which was a maze with limited vision. I think that there ought to be switches which open walls or something, which would make it more complicated. There could be statues or drawings along the wall, with some of them really being trainers in costume.

And it would be awesome if we could have an indoor sandstorm combined with slight darkness, which would reduce visibility without copying Dewford.

Spriter and Gym designer

Riddles. It should have riddles. Sphinxes tell riddles, right? And yeah, the things you mentioned would be cool too.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

But we've already done the mental game in Aquapolis. Especially since they're right after each other, I think we should stay away from riddles.

Spriter and Gym designer

Yeah, I guess you're right.

Better Than That Guy

Giant boulders!

Strength puzzle.

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Black Temple Gaurdian 750 View Post
    Giant boulders!

Strength puzzle.

RPG Administrator

I always thought there was going to be a mirror puzzle, ala Mario and Luigi 1 and LoZ:Ocarina of Time?
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

Spriter and Gym designer

I didn't get to those parts of those games. Either way, I did make a mirror puzzle for Portwind gym, and I think it makes more sense for a Light gym than it would for a Ground gym.

Agreed, mirrors are better for light. I think that if we combine limited vision labyrinth w/ sandstorm with the strength puzzle idea it would make a decent gym
    ö¿ö

Spriter and Gym designer

But the mirror thing is sort of a strength puzzle; you use strength to move the mirrors.

Oh. I didn't know that.
    ö¿ö

"We nicknamed her Bean"

ISSUE: You won't have strength when you get to Portwind as of right now, since you can't use it outside of battle until you beat Crys. It IS possible to change it, if we switch Rock Smash (unlocked at 2nd Gym) and Strength (Unlocked at 8th gym). Or, you should just be able to push the mirrors yourself, without having to use strength. Is that an option?

Spriter and Gym designer

Oh yeah, that would be a problem. The only things I can think of to remedy that are, like you said, switch Rock Smash and Strength, or redesign the gym with rotatable mirrors.

RPG Administrator

Well, Mario and Luigi had switch activations, while LoZ had simply pushing and pulling them. Pushing them yourself sounds fine.
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

Yes, I think that just pushing them would be ok. There is certainly precedent, i.e. the Veilstone gym punching bags (I believe that's the right city).
    ö¿ö

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannigon64 View Post
    redesign the gym with rotatable mirrors.

That's a far more simple puzzle, and I don't it as well for that reason.
    ö¿ö

Spriter and Gym designer

You don't it as well?

Lol. I don't like it as well.
    ö¿ö

Spriter and Gym designer

Sorry it took so long, I had lots of homework.

I'll try to upload my idea for Dynamo gym ASAP, but that might be tomorrow. Also, I had another idea for it. I haven't completed it on a map or anything, but I think it will be better than the first one.

Also, just confirming; the idea for Saharan gym is a limited vision strength puzzle, right? If so, how would the limited vision work?

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Like I said before, if we can have an indoor sandstorm and make it slightly darker, it would make it difficult to see.

Administrator

RPGMaker allows you to overlay the screen with effects. A limited vision texture would probably be not much of a problem at all, especially if the gym is a pyramid like originally concepted. If you want to make rotating mirrors a little more difficult you can always place them in different rooms and on cross paths.

Spriter and Gym designer

But there's already a mirror puzzle for Portwind Gym. And Sunshine Cave.

Spriter and Gym designer

White space: Empty space. Player can stand here.
    Yellow space: Entrance/exit.
    Arrows: Spinner tiles. Y'know, the ones that force you to go in one direction until you hit a wall or something.
    Purple space: If you're spinning and touch one of these, you stop spinning.
    Green space: There are white spaces underneath this, so the player can stand on or under it.
    A: Spinner that points north, but will cycle through the directions north, east, and west when a green lever is pulled.
    B: Spinner that points north, but will cycle through the directions north and west when a red lever is pulled.
    C: Spinner that points west, but will cycle through the directions west and north when a white switch is pushed.
    D: Spinner that points south, but will cycle through the directions south and north when a yellow lever is pulled.
    E: Spinner that points west, but will cycle through the directions west and east when a black lever is pulled.
    F: Spinner that points north, but will cycle through the directions north and south when a blue lever/switch is pulled/pushed.
    G: Spinner that points east, but will cycle through the directions east and north when a blue lever/switch is pulled/pushed.
    H: Spinner that points east, but will cycle through the directions east and north when a orange lever is pulled.
    I: Spinner that points east, but will cycle through the directions east and west when a purple lever is pulled.
    J: Stairs going south to north.
    K: Stairs going west to east.
    L: Green lever. Changes direction of A when player presses the action button while facing it.
    M: Red lever. Changes direction of B.
    N: Blue switch. Changes direction of F and G when stepped on. Does not stop the effects of the spinners.
    O: White switch. Changes direction of C when stepped on. Does not stop the effects of the spinners.
    P: Blue lever. Changes direction of F and G when player presses the action button while facing it.
    Q: Orange lever. Changes direction of H when player presses the action button while facing it.
    R: Purple lever. Changes direction of I when player presses the action button while facing it.
    S: Yellow switch. Changes direction of D when stepped on. Does not stop the effects of the spinners.
    T: Black lever. Changes direction of E when player presses the action button while facing it.

I just realized I forgot to add trainers (I guess they can go wherever) and Gerad (He's in coordinates 23, 22)

Administrator

Never mind then.

I think people are going to be overwhelmed by how many switches and levers there are in so many gyms. I think a more interesting application is when you travel over a tile it automatically "switches" so you just have to figure out the order. In that case it'd probably be wise to add a one-way escape route accessible from any part of the gym.

Spriter and Gym designer

Well like I said, I have a completely different idea as well, so I'll try to work with that idea and put it up so people can compare.
    Last edited by Tyrannigon64; 04-21-11 at 01:05 AM.

Spriter and Gym designer

On second thought, I think the idea mentioned above is way too complicated (and so is the idea that you mentioned, IB), so here's a much simpler gym.

White space: Normal floor. Player can stand here.
    Red arrows: Spinner tiles. Makes the player spin in the direction of the arrows if the player steps on it until (s)he hits a wall or stopper.
    Purple space: Stopper. Makes the player stop spinning.
    A: Red spinner. Points north originally, but toggles between north and east when red switch is pressed.
    B: Yellow spinner. Points east originally, but toggles between east, west, and north when yellow switch is pressed.
    C: Green spinner. Points south originally, but toggles between south and north when green switch is pressed.
    D: Blue spinner. Points east originally, but toggles between east and north when blue switch is pressed.
    E: Red switch.
    F: Blue switch.
    G: Green switch.
    H: Yellow switch.
    I: Gym trainer. Faces south.
    J: Gym trainer. Faces west.
    K: Gym trainer. Faces north.
    L: Gerad.

Where did the idea for Gerad's name come from, anyways?

Also, I have Saharan Gym ready, but uploading isn't working. I've tried Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Firefox, and it still isn't working. In Chrome, the "Manage Attachments" window will not load. In IE, once I click upload, nothing is uploaded. And in Firefox, the "Manage Attachments" window is messed up.

+ Reply to Thread