Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kuranpu

Secret Agent

Tyrannigon: Sorry, I don't think that most people like the idea of karma.

Also:
    KURANPU is rumored to be able to mediate any dispute. It has the ability to affect the minds of people and POKEMON to make them more or less aggressive to keep the world in balance.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by NyteFyre View Post
    Well, is manipulation beyond legends? Look at Mewtwo for f***s sake! He nearly destroyed the world with a huge rainstorm, interacted with several distinct people directly, kidnapped a Nurse Joy, cloned a ton of pokemon, and more or less killed Ash! Before he had a change of heart that is. Entei, though only an illusion, kidnapped Ash's mom, and held her prisoner. I doubt legends are beyond petty influencing for their own purposes, whatever they may be.

In your list, you forgot the Deoxes, Deoxi...whatever the plural of Deoxys is. Also, you forgot to mention Ho-oh, the legendary birds, and Raiku, as well as all of fourth gen. I know we're an alt version of gen 4, but it still helps to draw from them, especially on subjects such as this.

However, I do agree that if it's supposed to be a mediator, it shouldn't be doing so for it's own desires. Would make more sense to change "to suit it's needs' to something like 'so that the balance is uncorrupted' or 'so that there is as little bloodshed as necessary'. Something like that.
    I didn't say manipulation is beyond legends. What I'm saying is that Mewtwo and Entei are less deities or guardians like most legendaries but like humans are extremely emotionally conscious and have their own agendas. Yes, they're manipulative and capricious, which is what makes them so much better than most of the newer legendaries IMO. So yes, your points are basically parallel to mine on this front. I was citing Pokemon as examples, not simply to categorize each and every one of them, which is why I didn't bother placing each legendary from Gen 3 back, because I already made my point and/or didn't know enough about them anyway (Raikou and Ho-oh I know nearly nothing about, and the birds aside form Zapdos don't really have much development).

However, as you agreed with, Kuranpu doesn't fit with Mewtwo or Entei. As the "mediator of all disputes", by nature, it cannot be humanized in that way. Thus, petty manipulation should be beyond it. This is my argument.

As for the new edit, "to keep the world in balance" doesn't really say anything, because the connection is difficult to make. Making people more or less aggressive keeps the world in balance? How?

RPG Administrator

ok, ignore the world balance thing.

However, to prevent bloodshed and loss of life could work. Spur the right people into action can solve problems, while calming down, or preventing the other right people can do the same.

Maybe he simply likes peace, and therefor manipulates whoever in whatever ways in order to keep that peace, regardless of the additional consequences. Not necessarily worldly balance, just peace. Things can be peaceful with a ruthless dictator around, and the same could be said for a benevolent tribunal. And vice-versa. Being a pokemon, maybe he doesn't understand the consequences of his actions, or how others may feel about it, and therefore what happens after doesn't affect him, so long as it erects peace.

but maybe i'm just rambling with no real clue. I don't know.
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

Administrator

Now we're getting somewhere! Instead of blindly stabbing at entries, trying to find something that embodies Kuranpu is the direction we should be taking. If he loves peace and hates conflict, maybe something like:

Deeply disturbed by conflict, KURANPU appears in times of great imbalance. Its devotion to homeostasis is the reason for its title as the mediator of all disputes.

I do also like your interpretation of its actions, as it also accounts for the light and the dark in Kuranpu's typing. The dark part is the part that doesn't care how it's done, and who will let the world fall under a ruthless dictator, so long as the peace is kept.

Administrator

Homeostasis isn't a good word to use in a dex entry, imo. Think about the audience playing this game, it's going to potentially be a lot of 11-15 year olds who aren't going to have any idea what that means.

I think we're on the right track now though. Let me take a stab at it:

Deeply disturbed by conflict, KURANPU appears at times of great imbalance. Its devotion to harmony is the reason for its title as the mediator of all disputes.
    I think 'at times' is better than 'in times', regarding the context of the sentence. And yeah, harmony over homeostasis.

Spriter and Gym designer

Good idea. I had no clue what homeostasis meant until you replaced it with harmony, making me assume they mean the same (or almost the same) thing.

RPG Administrator

I agree, Zero's edit of IB's is fine with me.

+1 Vote Acquired!
    ~dadada-da-da-dada~
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

Administrator

Yes, "at times" works much better, and harmony is also a perfectly acceptable replacement.

+1 vote.

Secret Agent

+1

Administrator

Looks like 5 there.

Kuranpu: Deeply disturbed by conflict, KURANPU appears at times of great imbalance. Its devotion to harmony is the reason for its title as the mediator of all disputes.

Closed Thread