+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Legendary Pokemon Sidequests

Eighty More Posts

Default Legendary Pokemon Sidequests

Are there any of these planned for after beating the Elite Four? I really loved this feature in Pokemon Diamond (some weren't useable without an Action Replay but they were still in the code). it was alot of fun catching Darkrai and Cresselia after everything was said and done. There were a few others but I can't remember. It was like a Bush Pokemon? Anyways if none of these are planned I could definitely write scripts for them and make Overworld Sprites.

Secret Agent

We have several new legendaries, so we'll probably need some sidequests to make it interesting. I think we even have/had an Arowana quest. Typhidna, Kuranpu, Unicrown and Kipporok might have thier own quests, although Unicrown might make sense as a wandering pokemon. I know at this point we could use more overworlds, for both legendary pokemon and regular pokemon.

Eighty More Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cyndadile View Post
    We have several new legendaries, so we'll probably need some sidequests to make it interesting. I know at this point we could use more overworlds, for both legendary pokemon and regular pokemon.
    I knew they were there. I was just asking if there were any side quests planned. Really there isn't much anybody can do right now unless the few things that need to be done are in their field. Thought it would be interesting for writers/overworld spriters/mappers to have something to do.

Administrator

I know for a fact that Typhidna, Kipporok and Kraklaw have their own sidequests. Unicrown makes sense as a roamer and we've spent ages trying to figure out Kuranpu.

(There are also lots of things for writers/overworld spriters/mappers to do)

have kunranpu have something to do with the cave near Cainwood that leads to Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza in HG/SS.
    TRPG profile

3DS Friend code: 3711-7748-4916
    I has X, Looking for Y stones, will trade for good stuff.

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by ImmunityBow View Post
    (There are also lots of things for writers/overworld spriters/mappers to do)
    To be more specific...
    Writers: NPC lines, at least.
    Overworld Spriters: Pokemon are more important right now, since we can always use people from RSE or FRLG. You can also try out some backsprite editing and icon making, we're always looking to improve those.
    Mappers: We need lots of maps! I know a lot of routes are undone, and there are several towns, too. I believe Cianwood and Olivine from Johto need to be redone, which could be a fun way to reinvent the old towns with a new "flair", or just copy them if you're not feeling creative.

And everyone can try to help revamping movesets.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

I think IB was referring to specifically these sidequests, the dialogue for which need to be written out from scratch since they aren't included in the main script, overworlds of the legendaries and maps of the areas in which they are located, especially since their exact locations aren't nailed down.

Eighty More Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reliability View Post
    I think IB was referring to specifically these sidequests, the dialogue for which need to be written out from scratch since they aren't included in the main script, overworlds of the legendaries and maps of the areas in which they are located, especially since their exact locations aren't nailed down.
    I think it would be good to have hidden parts of the map that you can't find until you discover them, or specific order of dialog. Say you meet a Captain in a port city, and he tells you a story about a legendary pokemon he saw. Then if you have beat the E4 then he will offer you a trip there. If you haven't we could some dialog to block you from going there.

Secret Agent

Actually, that sounds alot like something we could use to start the quest for Kraklaw...

I mentioned an Arowana quest earlier, but I was probably thinking of the Kraklaw one. Was the area where the Kraklaw quest takes place also the place where you can catch Goldrake/Arowana?

Eighty More Posts

Actually, that sounds alot like something we could use to start the quest for Kraklaw...

I mentioned an Arowana quest earlier, but I was probably thinking of the Kraklaw one. Was the area where the Kraklaw quest takes place also the place where you can catch Goldrake/Arowana?
    Yeah that'd be pretty cool for Kraklaw but I think there is already a quest for him.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Yes, Kraklaw is found on a ship that also has Goldrake IIRC. Kraklaw is the only sidequest that actually has some semblence of structure, and I figure it ought to be posted if we're going to work on it here. IB posted a starting point a while ago, so here is a summary:
    -The Sunken Ship once belonged to Captain Barnacle, a pirate, who was searching on Route 230 for Goldrake (golden fish that turn into golden dragons=profit)
    -His ship was brought down by a Kraklaw attack, and the entire crew dies
    -Present day, the player descends into the ship and goes through it to catch/defeat Kraklaw
    -Afterwards the ghost pirates and Barnacle appear to confront the player, Barnacle with an Ahab-like obsession that you have ruined
    -You defeat them all, then Barnacle, impressed with your strength, lets you into an area with wild Goldrake

Any changes are welcome, as this was meant to be rough.
    Last edited by Reliability; 05-17-12 at 09:43 PM.

Eighty More Posts

So we need a ghost pirate sprite? And maybe a Barnacle one. I figure it wouldn't be a bad idea to make him less ghostlike. I'll try some sketches. I figure maybe make his face plagued with barnacles? I have little inspiration for them. On the Ghost Pirate area why not take sailor sprites from D/P and 'ghostify' them?

"We nicknamed her Bean"

I'd rather they be scratch, or at least heavily edited.

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
    On the Ghost Pirate area why not take sailor sprites from D/P and 'ghostify' them?
    Also, I think that D/P sprites are larger than what we're using.

Eighty More Posts

Also, I think that D/P sprites are larger than what we're using.
    Really? Had no clue.

Administrator

For anyone interested in what we had for Typhidna/Kipporok:

Kipporok and Typhidna are battling it out while Team Rocket sneaks up to them for the catch. They attempt Typhidna first because it seems more powerful, fail miserably, and get their butts handed to them. They flee and they battle you on their way out, as you're in the way. Typhidna, now enraged at the catch attempt, goes up to you and attacks you, and you can catch it or defeat it. The Rockets, who were merely hiding while you did the dirty work, run over to attempt to catch Kipporok, who promptly flies away (here it could go to a specific place or start running around the region). Kipporok gone, they leave feeling very depressed and not believing that the day could get any worse... and bump headfirst into Captain Barnacle, who grins at them with malicious intent.
    EDIT: But it seems incomplete. Will check for more.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Though, with the storyline the way it is, you may have just been on TR yourself, which makes this tricky. It needs to be edited...

RPG Administrator

Maybe they went rogue after TR disbanded again, and were low enough grunts that they didn't recognize you? Maybe they were foreign members of TR that just got into the country? (reminiscent of the TR member in Kanto, during the old GSC games, the one who took the power plant piece, had bad English, and never realized that TR had disbanded) Perhaps they just don't care, or are cold-hearted villains with no allegiance?

Maybe they're a new team that has relevance AFTER the E4, which would certainly work alongside the large amount of content that is left around after the E4. Yeah! They could be trying to capitalize on the fact that both TR and the OD are no longer around, and simply want chaos and destruction, thus the reason they are after Typhidna, as well as any powerful Pokemon! Hell, it could even tie into the whole reason for Purior causing the destruction that it did! Preventing this team of Chaos from reaching C/K, but it failed to stop this small team from making their way in. This could be why there are only a few, and they can't catch Typhidna or Kipporok.
    Last edited by NyteFyre; 05-18-12 at 11:28 AM.
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Quote Originally Posted by NyteFyre View Post
    They could be trying to capitalize on the fact that both TR and the OD are no longer around, and simply want chaos and destruction, thus the reason they are after Typhidna, as well as any powerful Pokemon!
    THIS^^^ I'm thinking that it could be splinter groups from BOTH teams, that do know what to do with themselves after the main plot is finished. (There are a few key plot characters that would be cool to use again, but if that's going to be the case, it makes more sense for me to write this one...)

Secret Agent

Yes! Perfect way to expand the story after the E4.
    I also like the idea of havig members of both teams, but we might want to make sprites of the people in different uniforms. Would this team have uniforms, or would it just be a gang of people in normal clothes? A uniform would make them more recognizable, but without a uniform you could have a few surprising people, like a gym leader, E4 member, or even a nurse Joy being a member.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

I would just have them in the uniforms they originally had. It would make more sense for them to still be tied to their old identities, as this is what perpetuating this behaviour. It also saves us some work on spriting a new uniform, or trying to incorporate new identities onto existing sprites.

RPG Administrator

Well, perhaps the 'leaders', or whatever, could maybe have like some tears in the clothing? To symbolize just how far they've gone with this, or something? Leaving them exactly the way they are seems a little bland. You shouldn't worry about this, yet, however. Need to focus on what is actually going to happen, and whatnot.
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

Eighty More Posts

Inharmonious some ideas for ghost pirates. I'll give 4 for generic pirates and 2 for Cot Barnacles when I happen to be on my PC.

+ Reply to Thread