+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IRC Channel (Idea)

Default IRC Channel (Idea)

...Erm, kind of an idea.

This is definitely the type of site/forum that needs an IRC channel. It's had one before as I can see, and I do run quite a few of them so I know they're very beneficial. As Pokemon Topaz grows, people will start wanting to go to an IRC channel.

I noticed on another IRC thread that "it wasn't popular so we closed it". This really shouldn't be a reason to close an IRC channel, after all they're free (and if you're paying for one...well that's just silly). Consider this the way you want, but I enjoy running and being in IRC channels. They're a great way to communicate and share ideas.

My advice is to set up an IRC channel. FOSSnet is a great network for doing so, as it's primarily for computer projects of all kinds.

#pokemontopaz is a great place to start there.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

We did try the IRC channel and it did actually work for us, since we got a programmer for a while because of it. But it is true that nobody really used it, which was kind of annoying for Zero (who ran it). One of the reasons for closing it was that it makes the community look dead if the channel itself is not being used. It isn't really an accurate perception of our activity, but this is a small community of active members that might frequent the channel and it is difficult to keep up the appearance of activity on it. For that reason, I would be wary of starting it up again.

However, if people are interested in the concept again, I would not be opposed to re-opening discussion on the matter

Secret Agent

Also, I think that people here seemed to prefer the forum format for expressing idea.

+ Reply to Thread